"Sounds like a real love story," Steve commented sarcastically.

I elbowed his side. "So, you two used to bully each other?" I asked.

"Yup," the woman responded.

"That didn't weird you out at the slightest? I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude but...it didn't big you or anything?"

"At first, I was a bit skeptical. But the more we've spent with each other, the more I've realized that I've always have been in love with him."

This sounds strangely familiar for some reason.

"And you never regretted it?"

"Sweetie, I wouldn't be married to him if I had."

"That's, uh, really nice," Steve said as he took the cash out of his wallet. "We should be going though."

The elderly gentleman grabbed the money. "Well, I hope your girlfriend forgives you."

》》》》

The whole way to Nancy's house, Steve and I have been going over what he should say to her. It can't be as simple as I'm sorry.

"Maybe you should compel her," Steve suggested as he started to get cold feet.

"I'm not doing that," I declined. "You said so yourself, you want to see if she forgives you on her own. You don't need your vampire friend to fix things."

"Then why did you compel those girls to punch everyone who says we're dating and clear things up? And told them to say Hargrove's got crabs?"

"I'm being petty. Sue me." Steve nodded. His eyes were fixated on the road but he was biting his lip. "Don't worry. I'll be behind you every step of the way."

"Thank you, but that's not what I was thinking about." He ran one hand down his face. "You said you'll never compel me, right?"

"Yup. I'll never compel you."

"Now. You'll never compel me now," he stated. "I was just wondering after high school. We'll all be heading toward our own path. You even said so yourself that you never stay in small towns for that long. Once we get to that point...would you compel me to forget about what you are? Or compel me and everyone else to forget you in general?"

"Do you want the honest answer?" I asked. Steve nodded. "That was my usual plan. I was just gonna lay low in Hawkins for a while and if someone figured out I was a vampire...I would have killed them." Steve's heartbeat began to rise. "If it was someone I cared about then I would have compelled them to forget about me entirely. It's not safe for humans to know about the existence of vampires. Their lives are in danger. I mean, you were there when Damon broke into my house. He almost killed you just to find out where Stefan is.

"I wanted to compel you that night. To make you forget what you saw. I just couldn't bring myself to do it."

I turned in my seat to look at him. "Now as for compelling you as we get older or I leave? That's the question I want you to answer for me. I'll respect your decision. Do you want me to compel you? You can live a normal life without knowing the existence of vampires."

Steve gave me a breathy chuckle. "Believe me, Bels, my life isn't normal. But I wouldn't want you to compel me. I don't want you to compel me. What kind of person would I be if I have to forget my best friend?"

That brought a smile to my face. "You really are something, Steve." We arrived at Nancy's house. "Never in all of my years of existence has someone not wanted to forget about me." I handed him the bouquet. "Now do you remember what you're going to say?"

Steve nodded as we got out. "Listen...I've been thinking...I love you. I'm sorry," he recited before mumbling, "I'm sorry? What the hell am I sorry for?"

I glared at him. "She's not going to forgive you with that half-ass apology. I would have dumped your ass right now with that."

"Steve. Bela!" we heard. We turned our heads to see Dustin walking toward us. He motioned to the flowers in Steve's hands. "Are those for Mr. or Mrs. Wheeler?"

"No," I answered. "Dustin, what are you doing here?"

"No time to talk," Dustin said as he grabbed the flowers from Steve's hand.

"Hey. What the hell? Hey!" Steve shouted while Dustin walked toward Steve's car.

"Nancy isn't home."

"Ok, then why aren't you with Mike?" I questioned.

"He's not here either. No one is answering me. I have a code red," Dustin panicked. "Bela, I didn't want to bring you into this world for your own protection but I have no other choice."

"Wait a minute, where's Nancy?" Steve asked.

"Doesn't matter," Dustin responded. "We have bigger problems than your love life. And bringing Bela to help you...that's a new low." He opened the passenger door before looking at Steve. "Do you still have that bat?"

"Bat? What bat?" Steve and I repeated.

"The one with the nails."

I gave Steve a confused look and asked, "You have a bat...with nails?"

He nodded, "I do. Why?"

"I'll explain it on the way. And give Bela the rundown on everything."

"Now?" Steve said while I asked, "What?"

"Now!"