The letter that made me stay

I had already been waiting for ages when it was announced that the flight to London would be delayed. I sighed. Right now I was just so bored. I had nothing to do. My phone was out of battery—I had forgotten to charge it before I left—and all my books were at the bottom of my suitcase, which I didn’t want to open and unpack in the middle of the airport. On top of that I was exhausted as I had got up incredibly early so I wouldn't be late. If I had known the flight would be delayed I would definitely have slept in.

I leaned against a wall, putting my hands in my pockets, and that’s when I felt it against my fingers—the letter my best friend, Cassidy, gave me just before I left. She made me promise not to open it or read it until I arrived in London. But actually, I really wanted to do it now—and, in all honesty, I was just way too bored and curious to resist the temptation any longer! So I eventually opened the envelope, only to discover a light blue paper on which my friend had written a few words.

I started reading and all I could say was that it was clearly not what I expected. For a moment I thought my brain had stopped working. I even read the letter twice, to make sure I had understood its content the first time—which I had.

 I was so surprised—surprised I hadn't noticed anything. Besides, I must have looked so puzzled that some people around me were looking at me strangely. I wondered what I was supposed to do, but my mind was too confused and I could hardly think straight. I tried to take my phone out of my bag, only to remember that it was completely out of battery. So I put it away, then swore at it—which was totally pointless, by the way, since it wasn't going to help me in any way. Then I read the letter. Again.

Hey Amy,

I hope you got to London all right, had a good trip, and aren’t too tired from jet lag.

I know I already told you, but I'm really going to miss you while you're away. But perhaps I could visit you if you want? Like on a holiday or something. What do you think? Besides, I've never been to London before—and I must admit I’d love to—so that would be a good reason!

But that’s not why I’m writing you this letter. Well, not only. There’s something I wanted to talk to you about, but I must admit I didn’t really know how to broach the subject with you. Let’s just say it’s a bit “sensitive”, and I guess I was kind of nervous about your reaction.

So here's the thing, I’m going to be direct—a little too direct perhaps?—but it’s been a while since I realised that I loved you. Like, not as a friend. But romantically.

Of course, I would have preferred to say it to you in person, but I never dared to do it. And I guess now it’s too late.

I don’t really know what else I can say. I hesitated for a long time before deciding to tell you this. I think I was afraid it would end our friendship, which is so precious to me. But on the other hand, I couldn’t keep it to myself anymore either. In a way, I almost feel relieved to have written you all this.

Well, I think I’ll leave you then.

Hoping to get an answer from you, even if it is a negative one.

Wishing you best in London,

Cassy.

What was I supposed to do now? I then asked myself how I felt. About Cassy. To be completely honest, I had wondered before whether I loved her, but I had always told myself that it wasn’t serious, and a little voice in my head had kept telling me that she was just a friend.

Suddenly I was interrupted in my thoughts by a voice from the loudspeakers announcing that the plane to London would soon arrive. But then I realised that I couldn’t just leave. I didn’t want to. I was thinking fast. I had to go and find Cassidy. To give her an answer. To tell her that I loved her too. I grabbed my suitcase and handbag and headed quickly out of the airport, hoping to find a taxi.

Now, if there was one thing I could say with absolute certainty, it was that I had done well to be too curious and impatient, and to have read the letter before I left. I would have regretted it so much otherwise…

Cassidy’s letter had made me stay, and that was the best thing that could have happened to me.