The beast said but there was no anger in his tone, it was as if he truly found Kim Jaehyun to be amusing.

Kim Jaehyun was grinning. He thought to himself this is what I want

He had his reasons for refusing the Canicus wolves. They were weak, too weak. As soon as he saw the Canicus wolves he knew that Prince Levi had obtained Artemis through the summoning method. He wanted a beast strong like Artemis, one that could match his own power.

Even Prince Levi knew, Kim Jaehyun was much more powerful than he was letting on. Perhaps because he instinctively tried to hide his true personality, he suppressed not only his red aura but his power itself.

But in this room, where he was asked to prove himself, Kim Jaehyun let loose and bared his fangs in order to get what he wanted.

Impressive, you have great potential... but is your heart equally strong

Suddenly, Kim Jaehyun felt an otherworldly pressure bearing down on him and in an instant everything turned black.
.
.
.
.

"Jaehyun are you listening to me?" An angry voice followed by a slap to the face.

Kim Jaehyun felt his head snap to the side and his cheek stung painfully.

The angry voice that he recognised to be his fathers continued to berate him, "you're bringing shame to our family! Why can't you be like your siblings? Always causing trouble with that terrible attitude of yours!"

His face was slapped again. Kim Jaehyun felt tears form in his eyes and his vision blurred slightly. He remembered this day very well.

It was the day he learned that he had to wear a mask, that as the third son of the prestigious Kim family, he couldn't show people his real face.

Kim Jaehyun tried to respond to his father words but he realised he wasn't in control of his own body, he was a spectator, simply watching his own memories.

His father was angered by the fact that Kim Jaehyun did nothing but look at him.
He grabbed Kim Jaehyun by the hand and dragged him out of his study, walking along the short hallway towards the staircase.

Kim Jaehyun was still silent as his father dragged him away, his eyebrows had knitted slightly and there was a frown on his face.

"You need to learn to behave well....!" In his rage, Kim Jaehyuns father yanked the young boy, forgetting that he was still quite small.

Kim Jaehyun in a moment, lost his footing and then he fell down the staircase.

His father, Kim Daesung, who'd watched him slip from his own hand, looked on with horror at the child who'd come to a stop at the bottom of the staircase after slamming into the railing head first.

Only when Kim Daesung saw the blood dripping down from the boys head did he snap out of his stupor and rush forward.
.
.
.

The scenes suddenly changed and Kim Jaehyun was in a hospital bed. His father was by his bed side, watching him with worried eyes.

The doctor was also in the room, he had a clipboard in his hand and was writing something as he asked Kim Jaehyun a few questions.

Kim Jaehyun answered each question well and the doctor deemed him to be fine. "He recovered quite fast, lucky there's nothing wrong with him but he should get more rest."

Kim Jaehyun smiled at the doctor and thanked him. He seemed to be such a gentle-natured child and the doctor was quite pleased.

Only his father was now looking at him as if something was wrong, as if it wasn't his child he was looking at but a stranger.

Kim Daesung called out to him, he asked, "are you alright Jaehyun?"

Kim Jaehyun answered, "I'm fine father, is something wrong?"

Kim Jaehyun watched as his fathers expression contorted hideously. The look in his eyes was as if he didn't recognise his own son. "Father what's wrong?" Kim Jaehyun asked confusedly.

Everyone in the Kim family knew that Kim Jaehyun was not a 'good-natured' child. He was actually quite bad tempered and rude, an unsociable brat that was prone to violence.

He wasn't amenable nor kind at all but now he was suddenly smiling, he was being polite.

Kim Daesung actually felt a sense of dread at first but after a while his wife, Jessie Jung, convinced him that perhaps this was a change for the better and that they didn't need to worry.

They took their son home and it seemed he really did change, completely.

Kim Jaehyun who was watching this memory scoffed, he remembered his father told him once, "as a member of our Kim family you cannot continue to behave in such a way, even if you have grievances or hatred, you swallow it down, bear it in silence and keep yourself composed!"

This type of thinking was beaten into him, that he mustn't show his true emotions, he mustn't behave childishly despite being a child, he mustn't bring shame to his family.

If you looked at it another way, he was almost like any other rich kid that was raised in a strict family.

Kim Jaehyun wore a smile and forced his 'real self' down but one day he and his family learned the truth, that he didn't change.