Chapter 10: Freed from the Dark

Start from the beginning

Malphas' jaw clenched. "You are not gifted, like your mother is. Your abilities are a just a consequence of the magic she used to save you. Not to mention, my demi-god blood activated in your veins, after you..."

Alexandru cleared his throat, straightening himself. "I came back from the dead once. So can he."

"You do not understand what you speak of," Malphas said. "You had a body. You had blood in our veins."

"I must try."

Malphas scoffed. "You are so stubborn."

"I get it from you," Alexandru fired back.

Malphas ran his hand in frustration over his hair. "You know it not the way of life, what your mother did for us. Also, there were other influences involved in the spell she performed. Things a warlock as young as Kalace would not have been able to accomplish on his own."

Alexandru frowned. "What do you mean? What other influences were involved in Mother's spells?"

Malphas did not answer him, ignoring Alexandru's prying. "Everything that made Kalace, Kalace, would change, if you were brought him back. Which, you could not, even if you tried."

"When I came back, I did not change," Alexandru insisted. "I am still aging, too."

"Physically, yes. Though mentally, I often wonder if your decisions are still from your child self, instead of a young man's."

Alexandru scowled. "I am the same," he continued to argue.

"Are you?" Malphas asked. "Because the boy with your mother's heart has never escalated a single fight into a deathmatch. Yesterday, if not for for Kalace's display, you would have killed Remus. All because he took your horse. Do you deny this?"

"Cruentas is not just a horse," Alexandru grated out. "He is family, and Remus stole him and agitated him through conditions he is not used to. It is my responsibility to protect him."

"You should have weighed the consequence of letting Remus get to you. The way he treated Cruenttas has assured he will not be riding great distances anymore but leaping from the arena wall and almost exposing yourself to the mortals is not worth saving an old stallion past its prime. Not when your own life, mine, and your mother's, are at an immediate risk."

"An old stallion past its prime..." Alexandru aggressively wiped at the wetness on his face, shaking his head. "Gods, you always say all the wrong words! Now I am looking into my only friend's grave, imagining where the gravestone will sit for Cruentas!"

"Cease your crying, boy. It is most uncomfortable when you show human emotion."

"Why are you here?" Alexandru demanded. "Just leave, go work on your precious campaign. It is all you ever care about, anyway."

Malphas rubbed the back of neck and sighed. "Listen, Kalace was special. He was kind, and you are right, he was a trusted friend. Let him rest the way he was. The way he was before yesterday."

Alexandru shook his head incredulously, moving away from his father to stand at the side of Kalace's grave.

"I see my words still fall on deaf ears," Malphas said, moving to stand to the opposite side of the grave. "Both of us were an exception, Alexandru. There will be no black magic practicing, not when you are under my roof." His voice had switched into that of an authoritarian. "And you will never, ever mention this conversation to your mother. Do you understand me? Her heart would not be able to bear it."