Chapter Thirty-One

There's a saying about how the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry, but in my case, it's the plans and good intentions of a pop star. It turns out Mother Nature has the final say for when I'll see Hunter next, and she isn't on board with it being Thursday.

Severe thunderstorms weren't in the forecast when Hunter left on his trip, but they raged for hours on Wednesday. The storms hit part of Minnesota, too, which I learned when Mom received a text from Melanie asking if we could check on the Grays' cottage and if any trees were down. Parts of the highway leading to the Minnesota-Ontario border were flooded and obstructed by fallen branches, and the Grays couldn't make it past Duluth. Thursday became the new travel day for them, and Friday the day for Hunter to be back at the lake.

Friday is the same day Sawyer gets here, and I'm jittery from the instant my eyes flutter open when that morning finally arrives.

"Is everything all right?" Mom asks at breakfast. I haven't touched the scrambled eggs on my plate, which she seems to have noticed.

"I'm worried about going to town to see Sawyer and who else I might run into," I admit. "Do you think he would understand if I canceled, or am I being a horrible friend?"

Mom's phone chimes just as I finish asking her this. She glances at it, and then at me. "From your mouth to a higher power's ears, I guess. That was a message from Sawyer, apologizing because he can't meet up with you before the festival. He's getting here late after being delayed by road conditions. The storms must have damaged the highway between here and Manitoba, too."

"Thank you, universe," I mutter. Something is finally going my way. The knots in my stomach start to loosen now that the stress of possibly bumping into Bowie or anyone traveling with him and Sawyer has been lifted.

I'm able to eat some of my breakfast after that, and then I take my time showering and getting ready. Even though I won't see Sawyer, I'm still going to talk to Hunter today. My morals and my conscience can't take much more of him not knowing.

I pick out a red sundress to wear. It probably isn't the best choice for the boat ride I envision going on with Hunter, but something about today feels like an occasion. I just hope it's a happy one.

I'm as ready as I can be, but knowing this doesn't prevent me from yelping and nearly knocking everything off the top of my dresser when Alfie goes ballistic at something outside. There's a knock at the cottage door, followed by Mom's voice and then Hunter's. I can't make out what they say to one another since I'm too focused on remembering how to inhale and exhale like a normal human being.

Mom's footsteps approach in the hall, and then she taps on my bedroom door. "Hunter is here."

I breathe in slowly and smooth an invisible wrinkle in my dress before leaving my room. As keyed up as I've been all day, my nerves and doubts vanish the second I see Hunter.

"You made it back!" I practically bowl him over with the force of my hug. "How was your week?"

"It just got a lot better." He wraps his arms around me and I drink in every bit of him, from the scent of his soap and shampoo to the warmth of his skin.

"Should we do something fun today, like go for a boat ride? It's so nice outside now that the storms have cleared." My suggestion comes out exactly the way I practiced it, and it gives me the boost of confidence I'll need for the rest of this.

"Trying to get me alone, are you?" Hunter murmurs into my ear, quietly enough that Mom, wherever she is, can't hear him. He's teasing me, but my stomach still does a somersault at the thought of catching up on the days we've missed together and how much kissing that could involve. Or at least I hope kissing him is still part of today when all is said and done.