Chapter Thirty

By the time Friday evening rolls around, a plan has taken shape for how to tell Hunter and when to do it.

The party at the Reids' cottage means the conversation won't happen tonight, even though I'm ready. There will be too many people around, and someone would notice if we tried to sneak away for a while. Paisley, Hunter's parents, and Mom are at the top of the list. We would have to return to the party afterward, and it would be a lot to unleash and then not be able to discuss right after Hunter finds out.

With tonight off the table, the best timing is between tomorrow and the day before Sawyer gets to town. It will be whenever I can get Hunter alone for at least an hour or two. We'll take the pedal boat out to the spot where we caught tadpoles. While we're out on the lake, enjoying the scenery, I'll mention my best friend from L.A. is coming to town and I want to introduce them.

I've rehearsed what comes next a few dozen times already. I do it again now, under my breath, to my reflection in the bathroom mirror.

"I've never gone this long without being able to talk to Sawyer," I say to an imaginary Hunter. "He knows why Mom took my phone away, and he's busy with his tour, but it's still weird."

Mentioning the tour is intentional. My hope is Hunter catches it and asks what tour Sawyer is busy with. If he doesn't, he might joke about getting the real story of my phone ban from him, since he's still certain there's more to what happened. Either of these things would be a great segue.

"Speaking of the tour, I should tell you more about Sawyer and why he's coming here before you meet him." This is one direction I could go in. I'll explain Sawyer is a musician and throw out the titles of his recent radio hits, just in case Hunter isn't as oblivious to the world of pop stars as he claims.

"Do you remember what I told you about the concert I was at, and the explosion?" I'll say next. "Sawyer performed that night—he was the opening act. But there's something about the concert I didn't tell you when I was panicking. I didn't know you that well yet, and I came into this summer wanting to heal from what happened, which meant not bringing up a part of my life while I'm here. But then I got to know you, and now we're together, and I want you to know everything about me and that night. No secrets."

Hunter might be confused or alarmed at this point. I would be. I'll wait a moment to let him absorb what I've said so far, and then continue.

"I wasn't in the crowd when the bomb went off. I was on stage, because it was my concert. You and everyone I'm close with know me as Deni Reese. A lot of other people know me as Cayden Indigo."

There's no way to predict what Hunter will say to that. I'll answer anything he asks me and apologize for not telling him sooner. He'll learn why anyone else finding out could put me, him, my mom, his family, and other people at the lake in danger if my location becomes public information. Investigators need to confirm Dallas wasn't working with someone else first, or to apprehend anyone who was.

I'm nervous about telling him, but also relieved he will finally know. For the next few hours, though, the focus is on relaxing and having fun with the people who are helping me heal and move on, and not the conversation to come.

"Deni!" Mom calls. "Are you ready to go?"

"Just a second!" I run a brush through my hair and give myself another glance in the mirror. Satisfied, I set the brush on the counter and join Mom in the kitchen, where she's waiting to leave.

We meet up with Hunter and his family at the top of their driveway and begin the short walk to the Reids' cottage. Mom, Melanie, and Rob strike up a conversation I don't listen to. My attention, as usual, is on Hunter.