Chapter |2| A Missing Piece

Začať od začiatku

She laughed, and I smiled in reminiscence. The last time we were like this in my bedroom, laughing and sharing gossip was back in high school.

"What about you and Alessi? I mean, I didn't even know you were dating anyone. After Aaron I assumed..."

"Me too. I thought I would live life as a nun and just be a mother for the rest of my life. I was focused, you know? I was focused on Anastasia and my job, but then he just walked in and I don't know...I guess it was his pursuit of me. I must have said no a hundred times but he never gave up. I don't know a single guy who would keep asking but he did and I said yes and then rest is history."

"He looks like he's in love with you." She blurted out. "Do you love him?" The guilt settled in, creating a larger knot inside my stomach.

"I don't even know what love is anymore, in a romantic sense. I guess Aaron destroyed any trust I had in relationships and certainty in my own feelings. He destroyed my emotionally, but Alessi is good. He's amazing with Stasia.

"Is she attached to him?" Tessa looked worried, hell I was terrified of that.

I was scared of scarring her for life, of her turning into that girl who can't have stable relationships because of her mother's own tumultuous love life.

"I don't think so, not yet. She likes him though, which is good."

"What happens if you break up?" How could I answer that?

"I don't know." I breathed out. In realisation, I quickly turned and looked at her.

A knock loudly sounded on the door, setting Anastasia off screaming. I got up and opened the door, before making my way over to my little girl.

"Sorry." My mum offered an apologetic smile too.

"It's fine," I rocked Stasia back to sleep, and then placed her into the crib. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just came to see how you're doing?" I knew my mother had questions too, she was wondering the same thing everyone else was.

What the hell was I doing with Alessi?

"I'm good mum." The tone of voice sounded rather clipped, even though I didn't mean too.

"Alessi is watching the game with your father and brothers, he's getting on with them quite well." I didn't respond. "Anyways, I wanted to know if you had a dress for the ball?"

"The ball? What ball?" My mum looked over at Tessa.

"You haven't told her yet?"

"Told me what?"

Tessa sighed. "We're having a ball to celebrate the engagement and I know it probably sounds a little extreme but..."

"It's the first time one of my babies are getting married and to Tessa, who I practically consider a daughter already. We have to go all out, it's like both my children are getting married.

My lips quirked up. "Uh mum, that would be incest."

"No more of your smart ass comments." Tessa and I chuckled as she gave us a scolding glare. "So, a dress?"

"I didn't pack any attire suitable for a ball, so no."

"Great, now we get to go dress shopping. I'll book us an appointment at Couture." Blowing us both a kiss, she quickly left the room.