Everyone had came to the hospital to offer their support as soon as they heard the news. Hazel had remained at home with Elena. Aunt Amira gently squeezed my hand besides me. I faced her with tears veiling my vision. She flashed me a reassuring smile and a fragment of my hope was restored. Her presence was like a pillar of strength. I didn't know what l would do without her.

The doors of the operating room slide open and the doctor came out clad in green overalls and a face mask. I shot out of my seat , my heart racing in anticipation.

"Doctor, how is he?," Daniel asked the doctor.

I held my breath as l weakly clung to Amira. The doctor removed his surgical mask and his eyes moved all over us looking worried. A sob hitched in my throat . Something was definitely not right.

"The surgery was successful. He is out of danger but..," his voice trailed off.

"But?," Luis edged him on.

"When we ran tests on him , we discovered that he is in stage one of blood cancer."

I staggered backwards suddenly feeling dizzily. His words felt like a heavy blow to my face. I heard others gasping besides me.

Cancer!

For centuries, cancer has been known to be a fatal disease and Ferracco had it. Tears spilled down my cheeks. Uncle Roberto , Amira's husband had died of cancer. Did it also mean that Ferracco was going to...

I shook my head in denial.

No!

God wouldn't be that cruel to me. I had suffered a lot in my life. When l was beginning to get my shattered life together , this happens. Was l destined to be unhappy?

"Doctor, tell us what we can do?," Luis asked with tears on his face.

"He has to undergo a bone marrow surgery. We need a direct relative to donate him the bone marrow but they don't always match so l suggest we perform the test on at least five direct relatives."

I silently prayed in my heart that Elena become a match because as far as l was concerned, Ferracco had no other direct relative besides Elena. My father's sister had died eight years ago and that was his only relative. I never knew any relative from my father's side except Aunt Xiomara. As for Ferracco's mother , she was raised in an orphanage before she was adopted by a foster family who ill treated her.

Elena was our only hope to save Ferracco.

"We have to perform this surgery in a week's time," the doctor's voice broke through my thoughts.

"He has a daughter, we will bring her tomorrow," l replied in a croaked voice.

"Can we see him ,doctor?," Bianca asked.

"He is still in a fragile condition so we have placed him in the ICU for now. He has to remain in the hospital for a week under our observation. You can see him but a single person at a time."

~****~

I opened the door with trembling hands and went in. The smell of antibiotics hit my nostrils as soon as l stepped foot. A sob rose to my lips when l saw Ferracco laying in a small bed , connected to many beeping machines. Half his face was bruised and covered with an oxygen mask. His arms and legs were bandaged.

I slowly walked towards his bed with trembling legs. I dropped on the seat besides his bed and took his hand into mine. His hand felt so cold to the touch. I gently warmed his hand by rubbing at it while staring at his sleeping face.

Why did this have to happen to us on our wedding anniversary?

We were just starting our new life together and we were so happy.

Tears silently streamed down my face as l stared at him, silently begging him to open his eyes and flash me a mischievous smile just like he always did every morning.

"Ferracco, please get well soon. We all need you," l choked out between sobs.

A/N: Hie Guys , l just want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support. His Greatest betrayal managed to hit 1K votes on 31/07/2021. I was overwhelmed with joy seeing how people are supporting my book despite my lacking as an author.

Thank you so much. You guys are really amazing! Please do check out my other books especially "When we were young"

Apologies for this chapter , l know l suck at writing accident scenes and medical things so please bear with me.

Stay safe guys. Until then, my lovelies😘😘😘