Sleeping Handsome

Once upon a time, when dragons lived and wolves prowled through the night... a prince was born.

Prince David was born on the darkest night, the moon hid behind clouds, and only the stars twinkled overhead. His parents were elated, and invited the whole kingdom to come and revel in this fortunate event. An old, wrinkled wizard came, too. He wore a dark blue cloak; his snow-white beard fell scraggily from his chin, and his hand gnarled and bony as he clutched his staff. But his eyes held wisdom. He greeted the king, and went to see the prince. The wizard chanted a spell, and saw the future for the prince. The wizard paled at his fate.

"He's in great danger, beloved king and queen. The whole kingdom will go crazy," the wizard rasped.

"What shall we do?" the queen cried out, panic taking over her heart like a tidal wave.

"A brave warrior will save him. But who, I am not sure. That is all I have seen," and the wizard hobbled away.

Years passed by, and the prince grew up to be a fine, handsome young man. His brown hair flopped around his head, and his blue eyes warm and kind. One day, while he was out hunting, he came across a dilapidated hut. And in that hut, lived a witch. At the sound of pounding hooves, the witch came out. She was old and ugly, warts dotting her face. When she saw the handsome prince, she put on a glamour, and became a gorgeous young lady.

" A prince! If I get him to marry me, I'll rule the kingdom!" the witch thought gleefully.

She traipsed out, and the prince saw her. He was awe-struck by her beauty. Sunlight slowly faded as they talked and ate. But, during a conversation, the witch's glamour slipped. The poor prince was horrified at the sight before him. He reeled back in disgust, and the witch knew something was amiss.

" Shall we get married tomorrow?" she asked sweetly.

The prince refused firmly. The witch's face contorted in anger, as dark and stormy as a thunderstorm. The prince jumped to his feet, and rushed away. But too late, the witch had cast a spell on the prince. He dropped to the ground, and started snoring. With a flick of her fingers, brambles grew around the house, the house turned into a tower and a dragon protected it. And nobody knew...

The next morning, everyone was in a flurry. News that the prince was missing travelled like wildfire. The king sent for the bravest warriors in the world, while messengers ran around with urgent messages. Pandemonium broke out. Finally, all the warriors came, even from enemy countries. One warrior stood out. She was Princess Sascha. She was from a vulnerable country, and usually participated in the fights. She was a valiant, feisty, redoubtable girl, with eyes as green as the forest, and hair red like fire. She was fierce like a tigress. She was as beautiful as a sun on a gloomy day. And she was pragmatic.

The warriors set out the next day, each scouring the kingdom. Princess Sascha was walking around in the forest, when a frantic horse cam neighing. It was the prince's horse. She soothed it, and it led her to the brambles. Using her gleaming sword, she cut through it, her armour protecting her. One she reached a clearing, she saw the forbidding tower. A roar rumbled through the air. She tensed up, wary of her surroundings. Suddenly, a burst of flame shot out. Ducking, she saw the dragon. It's teeth were jagged and sharp, its scales shone in the sunlight. Its eye glittered menacingly. They fought for a while, until the dragon leaped upon her. She stuck her sword out, piercing the dragon in its soft underbelly. It froze, and thumped to the ground.

She dashed up the tower. The witch cackled and threw a spell at her. She raised her shield and deflected the spell. It rebounded back at the witch, and she turned into a toad. Princess Sascha found a bucket of cold water, and splashed it over the sleeping prince. He jerked awake. They went back to the kingdom, and the king and queen thanked her profusely and rejoiced. A marriage was arranged, prince and princess married with alacrity, ensuring peace between the two countries. For she was always pragmatic.