All around the building I saw cops talking to each other or on the phone. A group of them were huddled around the hood of a car looking at something and talking very hush hush. Unser rubbed the back of his neck and sighed hard. He looked older somehow.

“The good news is McKayla’s still alive. The negotiator just got off the phone with her. The bastard won’t talk, he’s making her make all the demands.” He said.

Relief washed over me. She’s alive. For now.

“What does he want?” I asked.

I was surprised how calm my voice sounded. Hale glanced at Unser as if he was waiting for him to speak. When he didn’t, Hale did.

“He wants you, Teller. You and some cash and a way out of here.” He said.

I nodded clutched at the caution tape.

“Good, what are we waiting for then?”

Unser glared at Hale and put his hands up.

“Not so fast, Jax. The sheriffs aren’t gonna let you just stroll in there. That’s not how it works.” He said.

Frustration boiled up inside of me. My grip tightened on the tape and I tore it apart.

“Unser come on. This guy doesn’t care about anyone else he just wants to hurt me. If I go in there, all this is over. He’ll let the guard go and he’ll probably let McKayla go too. It’s the safest way this goes down.” I pleaded with him.

He just shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest.

“My hands are tied, Jax. I’m sorry.” He said.

Something caught his attention and he walked over by a swat truck. I was seething. If only I could get inside the building. I could put a stop to all of this. Hale had walked away to see how far he could put his nose up some sheriff’s ass. Unser whistled low at me and nodded for me to come over to the truck. I glanced back at Clay, who was on the phone, and then at the other cops. No one was paying attention to me. As quietly as I could, I snuck over to Unser.

“Listen to me, I can’t let you go in there,” He began.

I was about to beg him again but he stopped me.

“I said I can’t let you go in there. But if say a S.W.A.T. guy went in…” He explained in a hushed voice.

A light bulb went off in my head. A S.W.AT. guy. Unser nodded his head towards the back of the truck where a guy in gear was climbing up into the truck. Unser took out his baton and handed it to me. I raised my eyebrow and he just looked away. I crept up behind him and whacked him hard on the back of the head. Thankfully, he went out quickly.

“Hurry up. Put his uniform on and go around back. There’s a door back there that’ll take you to the stairwell. We’re pretty sure he’s up on the top floor.” He whispered as I started pulling the guys gear off.

I shrugged out of my cut and gun hostler and tossed them on the ground. I didn’t take all of the guys stuff, just his S.W.A.T. marked vest and helmet.

“Okay now hit me.” Unser said.

“What?” I asked him.

He rolled his eyes and pulled me behind the truck.

“We have to say you took this by force so I can keep my job, okay?” He said.

I nodded and he turned his head to the left, exposing his right side. With as much care as you could punch someone, I laid one on him. He groaned and held his cheek.