22. Gratitude

Beginne am Anfang

"Well he'll have a long wait then won't he?" Morgan snapped defensively.

"As will Erin," Rossi said as he re-entered the room. "She's agreed to give us the rest of today, but she expects us all back to work tomorrow, with the exceptions of you, Aaron," He explained. "She sends her regards." He said, handing Penelope her cell.

"Thanks Dave," Aaron sighed. "Well, I'm okay now," He said. "You should all head home." He said emphatically.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Emily asked after a brief pause.

"Of course. I have my family right here." Aaron smiled.

I was left standing awkwardly, not too sure whether I should leave or not.

The team one-by-one congratulated the happy couple as they left the room tiredly.

"Congratulations," I said, shaking Aaron's hand before awkwardly hugging Beth. "I'm really happy for you both." I said truthfully.

"Spencer you're more than welcome to stay." Aaron said.

"No," I shook my head. "You should take this time together," I said. "I'll cover for you at the Unit," I said while looking at Mel. "It's important that you spend time together." I said defiantly.

"You're sure?" Mel asked me as she pushed off the bed and followed me to the door.

"Of course." I smiled and she turned back to Aaron and Beth.

"I'll be right back," She said before opening the door and ushering me outside.

The Daughter

"I don't want you to go home." I moaned quietly as I closed the door behind me, glancing down the corridor to see that the team had already left the building.

"I know," Spencer chuckled. "But like I said, it's important you take this time off together as a family." I sighed emphatically, knowing he was right and hating it.

"I want to spend time with you too though." I whined.

"Mel," He sighed, running his hands down my arms and taking my hands in his. "You've finally found your family," He said with tearful eyes.

"You have a father who loves you, a little brother who worships you, and a good, honest woman who loves you as if you were her own daughter. You finally have the family you've searched your whole life to find," Tears pooled in my eyes and threatened to fall at his words.

"It's about time you enjoy that," He said matter-of-factly. "I'll be waiting for you back in Virginia," He told me. "And you'll get sick of spending time with me." He chuckled and I scoffed.

"I couldn't get sick of you even if you wanted me to." I told him truthfully.

There was a long pause as we just looked at each other on felty.

"Have a safe journey home." I finally whispered, stretching up and wrapping my arms around him, burying my head in his chest.

"Be safe." He told me, his arms keeping me to him for a moment longer before he pulled back and pushed his lips against mine.

The Doctor

I got home later that evening and called Mel. She sounded happy and content and for the first time I felt that way too. I knew I had somebody to rely on; somebody who loved me for who I was and that was rare.

The only person in my whole life who had ever loved me had been my mom; and that was probably just because she had to.

For the next two days at work we done nothing but paperwork and reports; all of which I didn't mind doing. It made the day go by quicker and meant I wouldn't have to worry about Mel catching up as I had the time to do hers as well.