Chapter 2

When Tommy woke hours later. It was dark and he was still tired, but he was parched. Normally Tommy would've ignored it, but he felt like he should give this house a go.

Tommy quietly opened his bedroom door and walked down the hallway and onto the stairs. Not one of the stairs creaked which was a surprise. Tommy would've walked right into the kitchen, even with the voices in there. But he stopped when he heard his name. Tommy sat on the 5th stair, against the wall. He was hidden from the voice in the kitchen.

"Seriously Phil?" The voice said. "A trouble maker." They said disgusted, a slap of paper and card following. Tommy could only imagine that being his portfolio. "He's not a trouble maker-"
"Thomas was the worst kid I could've asked for, disrespectful, rude and plain expensive to look after. Not even the money I was given could pay for his needs" the man read out. Tommy had heard that line before, it was a comment a previous foster home had made about him. "I really don't thin-"
"He's been to 10 foster homes Philza, there's a reason he was taken back"

"You need to liste-" Phil tried but was cut off again. "Take him back." The mystery voice said again. "I-... What?"
"You heard me. Take him back" they said. "He's going to ruin your fam-"

Tommy's hearing was cut off when a pair of hands covered his ears. He didn't turn around to see who it was though. He sat motionless on the 5th stair while Techno ran past him and into the kitchen. Tommy guessed Wilbur was the one covering his ears. Unless someone broke into the house.

He watched a man with a black hood walk out the front door. No, storm out the front door. Techno ran and closed the door after him and looked directly at Tommy who moved his view to the bottom of the stairs after he made eye contact.

Phil quickly came into Tommy's view and crouched in front of him. He reached out to him and took Wilbur's hands off of his ears. Tommy blocked out what Phil was saying on his own, he didn't need Wilbur to do that for him. Tommy stood and walked up the stairs and into his room, closing the door behind him. Instead of laying on his bed, he crawled under it and curled up. Maybe this house wasn't meant for him.

He felt betrayed. He didn't even know if Phil was listening to what the man said and if he was taking it on board, but he had a feeling Phil did. Every other family sent him back, why wouldn't this one? Tommy blocked out all his surrounding noise and sat in his own bubble of silence.

After being trapped in his thoughts for a while, Tommy drifted off to sleep again. Without that drink of water.