Referral

Dream's POV
"What the hell do you mean you didn't know!" I yell at George. I slam the slip that my therapist handed me after our last session on the table.
"Clay, how am I supposed to know when your therapist will give us a referral for couples counselling?!" He argued back.
"Well I wasn't the one who chose the therapist!" I yelled.
"Her reviews are good, and she was my family's go to person." He explained.
"I don't care! What are we gonna do about this?" I ask and rub the bridge of my nose.
"We could try it." George suggested.
"Why?" I asked and laughed a bit.
"Well it's not like we're winning the award for couple of the year." George joked, "besides, what's the worst that can happen?"
I nod, "okay, I guess there's no harm in trying it."

We arrived at the new counsellor's office. His name is Dr. Fundy. His reviews said he was extremely thorough is his casework, so hopefully he takes our case. Granted we have one.
"Clay and George?" I finally hear the front desk ask.
"That's us." I call out.
"Dr. Fundy will be right with you."
"Ok thanks." I say and look at George. He was looking down and fidgeting with his hands.

"Are you nervous?" I ask him.
"What if he tells us to break up?" He says.
"What..? George what makes you think? They wouldn't... would they?" I say and George kisses my forehead.
"I don't think they'll do that." he says.
"Yeah... we can do this." I say and we both take a breath.

"Clay and George?" Asks the man standing in the doorway.
"Here." I say and both of us walk over.
"Right this way." The man says and takes us to a room with a couch and a chair with a side table.
He told us to take a seat on the couch and then he shut the door, taking a seat in the chair and setting a pen and paper on the table.

"I'm Dr. Fundy, this is a safe place. Feel free to talk about anything, I am only here to help..." he started by asking us some basic questions, then he started reviewing some files. Finally he got to our recent fights.

"He hid a box filled with cocaine in our new office. Then he lied about it and brought some of it out with us." George explained.
"I apologized for that." I said and rolled my eyes.
"Doesn't make it better." George added.
I watched as Dr. Fundy wrote down something and sigh, then I turned to George.
"But I'm supposed to forgive you for hiding my own divorce papers from me." I said and Dr. Fundy raised his eyebrows.
"Clay, I can never express how much I regret that. I just want you to see I still want you... it's just..." he trailed off.
"It's what huh? Hypocrite." I say and Dr. Fundy puts his pen down.

"Let's start with an exercise. It's hard to work through a problem if your partner doesn't know what it is, or if they have a different issue on their mind." Dr. Fundy chimed in. "George, let's start with your problem. I want you to tell Clay SPECIFICALLY how you feel right now." He continued then pointed at George.
"Um okay..." George started, then he looked at me,"I feel like you don't know how much you hurt me when you put yourself in danger."
I didn't know what to do, so I froze.
"And Clay, what do you have to say on this?" Dr. Fundy nudged.
"I... had no idea you cared that much." I said and George nodded.
"Care expanding on that Clay?" The Dr said and picked up his pen.

"You say that I am good in bed, and that's really the only place I feel I'm with you that way. I know you introduce me as your boyfriend and you proposed to me and whatever, but do you actually love ME?" I expanded and I hear vicious scribbling from the Doc.
"Clay. I love you. You have to know that." George said and grabbed my hand.
"Sometimes I wonder if you actually care enough about me." I say then take a deep breath, avoiding eye contact with both of them.
"I care." George said, point blank. I jolted up a bit and looked him in his eyes. "It's the reason I don't want you to hide illegal substances, rob banks, and take bullets for me. I care and I don't want you to get hurt." George finished, keeping eye contact with me as his eyes started getting watery.

"Clay." Fundy said suddenly making me realize how long I've been sitting in silence.
"George." I said, considering where I should even begin, "I'm sorry. And I promise I will be better." I say with my hands on his shoulders. He smiled at me.

"Now onto Clay," Dr. Fundy continued, "why do you care about the divorce papers?" He prompted.
"I guess... when George convinced me to leave that life behind, my husband was a good place to start. I felt so bad sending George to his house knowing that Wilbur was armed, but I couldn't stop him." I say. I look over to find George absolutely absorbed in my story.
"Did you still have feelings for this... Wilbur?" Dr. Fundy asked.
"Oh God no!" I scoffed, "I still love some parts of my past: the feeling of a stolen sports car in my grasp, the smell of money, even just thinking about holding a gun up to someone gives me literal chills. But Wilbur... he's the first to go." I say and I feel George's hand on my arm. I look over and he faces me, a soft broken smile upon his face.

"I think we've made a lot of progress today guys. Sadly, we are out of time. I hope you schedule another appointment at the front desk on your way out, you can also reach my office during the evening." Dr. Fundy announced.
"Thanks... for everything." I said and put an arm around George.

We walked out of the building after booking another appointment same time next week. The car ride home felt a lot lighter than the car ride there.
"See... that wasn't so bad." George said and I nodded, keeping my eyes glued to the road.
"It went terribly. Now I know you love me." I say in a false bitter tone.
"And how is that a bad thing?" He asked.
"Now I don't think you deserve to be fucked, so my sex drive is gone." I said and he rolled his eyes.
"Why does everything go all... sexual when you think of it." He said and crossed his arms.
"Not everything! I'm thinking of you right now and nothing sexual is happening." I said.

George gasped and punch my arm gently.
"Ouch." I say and he rolls his eyes.
"I love you... jerk." He says out of nowhere.
"Love you too cocksleeve." I joked and his mouth fell open.
"How dare you." He said in a playful tone. Hitting my arm again.
"Hey, don't hit the driver." I say in a playful tone.
"I'll just wait until you're not driving." He said back.
"Is that a threat?" I asked.
"No... it's a promise." He said and kissed his knuckles.
I took his bet and pulled over into a restaurant parking lot.

"There. I'm not driving." I say and he smiles, sitting still and remaining calm.
"Good." He said and took his seatbelt off.
"Because I want to show you how wrong you are." He said and ran a hand up my thigh.

_____________________________

A\N: sorry for going AWOL there for a bit. Y'all are so patient and I love all of you.

Also if we could leave some reasons to be alive down in the comments, I would appreciate it❤️ asking for a friend.