She didn't want to deal with any of her friends questioning her about where she had gone.

Sunday turned the corner and the smell of caffeine floated into her nostrils and made her stop in her tracks.

"Coffee." Sunday said in a low monotone as she opened the door to the coffee shop only a few feet away from the corner.

The coffee shop was half empty and it was only a two minute wait for Sunday before she stepped to the register.

Behind the register was a girl who looked to be in her late teens, "Hi, welcome to Starbucks! What can I get you?"

"Hi, can I just get a grande, actually no, venti iced latte with cinnamon dolce syrup?" Sunday asks the barista.

"And a red velvet loaf and a pink drink?," She added, thinking of Jeanette and Rafael.

"Yes, of course. Can I get a name for that?"

"Sunny." Sunday stated.

"Okay, that'll be 12.35," The barista smiled and took the twenty dollar bill from Sunday's outstretched hand, "Here's your change. We'll call your name when it's ready."

Sunday nodded then walked to an empty table whilst stuffing her change into her pocket.

Jeanette called her again but Sunday slid up the control panel on her phone and lightly tapped the moon symbol, effectively putting her phone on do not disturb.

Sunday turned her head towards the window to people watch and tapped her nails against the metal of the table.

Across the street, Sunday could see the people of various ages walking past and going on to their respective days.

Sunday spotted Kimberly the same second she spotted her.

Oh fuck no.

No, no, no.

Please.

Sunday turned her head towards the Starbucks counter but there was still no drink with her name on it.

Kimberly had begun to cross the street just as Sunday debated going out the back door.

The bell connected to the door chimed and Kimberly was headed towards her.

"Hi. Sunday, right?" Kimberly asked with a friendly smile.

She was dressed in running attire, a Nike sports bra and black matching joggers.

"Hi," Sunday said, giving Kimberly the faintest of smiles.

Kimberly pulled the chair on the other side of the table, causing a screeching sound and some of the other patrons to look their way.

Oh, God.

Sunday forced herself to take a quick breathe, "You moved here too?"

"Yeah, with Brandon."

B.J, Sunday corrected in her mind, "Yeah, I saw him yesterday. Wizards, right?"

"Oh, you did? He didn't mention it."

Sunday blinked, "Oh. Uh,"

"Well," She dismissed Sunday's stuttering with a wave of her hand, "I was just coming over here to say that I'm having a housewarming party and I would love it if you came."

I would rather drop dead.

"Sunny?" The barista called from behind the counter.

Sunday stood, collected her drinks and food and then turned back to Kimberly, "I'll have to see. It depends on the day because of my class schedule."

"Oh, yeah, I understand. Right now it's planned for next weekend but..." Kimberly shrugged.

A little horrified, Sunday realized that being friends with Brandon would involve being friends with his fiancee.

Sunday wanted to hate her but Kimberly was genuinely a kind person, from as far as Sunday could see.

She always had a smile on her face and now here she was inviting her fiancé's ex to a housewarming party.

"Are we allowed to invite others? If not I understand." Sunday replied.

At the question, Kimberly's grin grew, "Of course! Bring whoever you want!"

Her Apple Watch beeped and Kimberly glanced at it then sighed, "Okay, well. I'll see you on Saturday?"

Sunday nodded.

Kimberly gave her an embrace so quick that Sunday didn't have time to react.

"Bye!" Kimberly said in a cheerful tone then she exited the Starbucks.

As soon as Sunday was outside, she stuck her AirPods in and then group FaceTimed Rafael and Jeanette.

"Where have you been?" Jeanette demanded.

"Lower your voice. Not all of us are morning owls." Rafael's voice murmured from his paused screen.

"It's night owls." Sunday corrected him, "And I got y'all Starbucks."

"Girl, it's whatever the fuck." Rafael replied, "You got a pink drink?"

"Yes and clear your schedules for Saturday." Sunday said.

"Why?" Jeanette asked.

"I ran into Barbie." Sunday explained, "She invited me to this house warming party and we're all going for an hour to be nice and then leaving."

Jeanette snorted, "Why we gotta be nice? We don't know her."

"Facts." Rafael added, "Plus we were gonna check out this party in Arlington."

"Yeah, but you know me and you both love me." Sunday pointed out.

Jeanette kissed her teeth, "After we're going to Shake Shack, you're gonna buy me a double, some cheese fries and keep quiet."

"Fine. Raf?"

"Does Barbie have alcohol?" He asked, "'Cause I'll go for free booze."

"I'm sure B.J will have something."

Her two friends were quiet for two seconds before they let out noises of assent.

"Thank you." Sunday dragged the word out with a grin.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!