009

may 3rd, 2026
7:22 am

HAVING BRANDON IN CLOSE PROXIMITY AGAIN had left Sunday shook

His arms were fully covered in tattoos.

His hair was longer, his car was nicer.

And he had a fiancee.

She needed some air.

The air was a little humid, despite it being early in the morning.

Sunday walked down the D.C street her apartment building resided on, passing still closed restaurants and hotels.

In the distance, Sunday could make out the white dome that capped the Capitol Building.

Her curly again hair was loose around her shoulders and she was wearing leggings and an old graphic band tee shirt with a matching fanny pack.

It had been almost two years since Sunday had seen Brandon and since the feeling of learning that he was marrying someone else had slightly faded, it was starting to feel like they had spent no time apart at all.

Yesterday afternoon, when he had grabbed her hand, Sunday had gotten a flash of the way things used to be.

Then the memory of how things ended between them hit Sunday like whiplash and abruptly ripped away any previous want she held of their relationship going back to what it was.

As she walked down the neighborhood, she couldn't help but note how different her beloved Louisville and Washington D.C were from each other.

Whoever said that all cities look the same has never been here.

While there were skyscrapers, the outline of the different government buildings was the most overpowering element.

The accents were different.

The slang was different.

And for the life of her, Sunday couldn't find a good place that sold her favorite flavor of Cheeto.

Sunday continued her stroll on the street, her arms crossed and her mind racing.

In her fanny pack, her phone began to ring with a call.

Sunday took it out, glanced at the screen then put it back into her bag.