005

april 23rd, 2024
4:52 pm

SUNDAY AND NOAH RAN THROUGH the entrance at Norton Hospital, instantly alerting the receptionist and the people sitting in the waiting room

"We need Henry Howard's room number!" Noah said to the green eyed woman behind the pale peach colored desk.

The receptionist simply stared at the siblings.

"Now! We need it now!" Sunday uncharacteristically yelled at her.

The receptionist turned to her desktop computer, typed a few keys and then turned back to them, "He's on the third floor, room 382. The elevators are down the hall."

Together, they speed walked to the elevators and Sunday jammed her finger into the up button.

The elevators were too slow for both of the Howards' tastes and by the time the door opened, Sunday was trying not to pass out from fear and anxiety.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god," Sunday muttered to herself as they took off again down the hall.

Noah wrapped his fingers around her wrist and squeezed in a clear attempt to comfort her.

When Sunday finally found the room she was looking for, she stopped in the entryway, heartbroken at the sight before her.

Sunday's father, once strong and willful, had been visibly reduced to a shell of his former self.

His dark skin had paled, his forehead was sweaty and there were several IV tubes connected to his right arm.

"Pops.." Sunday's tone was low and fragile.

"What...?" For the first time in his life, Noah was speechless.

"Children..." Henry hacked a dry cough as he attempted to sit up in the hospital bed.

"No, don't do that." Noah commanded, "I'm gonna go find a doctor."

He strode down the hall with a purpose, leaving Sunday to step into the room alone.

Upon dragging a chair to his bedside, Sunday regarded her broken father with sad eyes.

"It's lung cancer. I guess the fumes in the shop finally got to me." Henry attempted to smile but it didn't quite connect to the rest of his face.

"Why didn't you tell me or Noah? How long have you known?" Sunday asked.

"Because I knew that you would drop everything to take care of me," Henry paused and a dry hacking cough passed through his lips, "It's been a couple years, maybe three by now. I thought I could hide it. I guess not anymore, huh?"

Sunday rushed to press the straw connected to the water bottle to his lips and Henry took a couple gulps before signaling for her to put it back down.

"You've been wanting to be like Elle Woods ever since you saw that damn movie," Henry grabbed her hand to ensure that he had her attention, "And you will not stop law school now that you're so close to graduating."

Sunday shook her head helplessly, "Pops..."

"No. I've been training your cousin to take over the shop until Noah can and he's been researching caretakers for me. You will not come home permanently. I'll make Noah kick you out  if you try." Henry warned.

"I can't leave you here alone. You can't expect me to do that. Please don't ask me to do that." Sunday begged.

"Well, I am." Henry paused to take another gulp of water then coughed, his lips stained with a little blood, "You are going to leave Sunday night. And besides, I have Noah. I'm not alone."

Sunday patted her father's forehead with a napkin off of the stack from the nightstand then gently blotted his lips, "What stage are you?"

Henry grew quiet at the question, his expression showing that he was uncomfortable.

"What stage?" Sunday repeated the question in a boisterous tone.

"I'm... I'm uh at stage four. The doctors wanna try chemotherapy again but..." Henry shook his head, "I was so sick the last time and my insurance isn't the best."

"We have to try. I'll get a job to cover the rest. I can-." Sunday started to say.

"No. Absolutely not."

"The internships don't pay much, pops. I have to at least-."

"Sunday Delilah Howard," His voice thundered throughout the room, "You will not!"

Sunday's face grew still but she conceded to her father.

"Okay," She whispered, "Okay."

"Thank you." Henry said then rested his head on the pillows once more.

Noah came into the room, an aggravated look on his face, "For a hospital, I can't seem to find any fuck ass doctors for the life of me!"

"Don't curse, bubba! Watch your mouth." Sunday nodded to where Henry was quietly focusing on his breathing.

"I think I have a pass today, sissy." Noah replied smoothly.

"Children," Henry called, causing both Howards to look at him.

"I wanna look at you both. I haven't had both of you in the same room since Christmas. Noah, come closer."

Noah immediately closed the distance, coming to stand beside Sunday's chair.

"I wanna pray with both of you. Indulge me, please." Henry stretched his hands towards his children and Sunday and Noah passed each other a fearful look before Sunday moved to stand on Henry's left side in order to hold his hand.

Henry's eyes closed and he began to mouth words silently, no doubt a prayer.

Sunday moved her eyes and observed her brother doing the same, most likely a different prayer.

So Sunday followed their example and relaxed her eyelids until they were closed.

I pray that my dad goes into remission.

Please God, please don't let my father die.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!