Chapter 5

Green flashed through the thundering of determined hooves, red spluttering on the brown, crunchy leaves on the ground. Heavy breaths and distraught neighs echoed through the long path and dirt sprayed the bushes, disturbing the lively foliage.

Bella was galloping at full speed, the rhythmic pounding of her heart so fast that she herself couldn't hear it. Her ears rang but she did not stop, instead, she went faster, heading straight for the village to warn the family of her human. She knew that the parents would have better odds fairing against such a malevolent beast as a water horse, especially with those sharp weapons they had stored away in the shed.

The colourful entrance of the village had finally come into view and she saw a merchant carrying a sack of apples off a loaded cart. The man looked at the mare with a startled gaze, his eyes landing on the bloody bite on her neck. He had almost managed to grab the floppy reins but she was too fast and he too slow and so, she continued running on a path she had engraved to muscle memory. If she ever needed, she could walk to the house blindfolded.

She could hear the mother's voice chatting with someone just around the corner and the father was probably somewhere around or at the family shop doing whatever it was he was doing there all day. Her pace slowed to a nice gait as she approached and pulled the woman's hair. Of course, she received confused gazes from her and the much older woman she had been talking to but one look at the crimson patch of fur had the mother's eyes widening.

Forgetting about the older woman, Bella was rushed to the family shop, where the father was conversing with the fisherman, who had apparently stopped by to deliver some fish. The two were spooked into silence at the sudden and worried appearance of the woman and the mare. Questions were thrown but no answers were returned. The mother had no idea what had happened and sadly, she could not communicate with Bella; none of them could for that matter.

"What happened? Where is our daughter?", the father asked but the mother could only speak gibberish through the sobs and tears that blocked her throat. Instead, she feverishly shook her head, raising her hands to pull harshly at the roots of her hair in a way to say "I don't know" to her husband. And the man's eyes widened as the realization of their daughter having gone missing settled in his veins, blood running cold.

The fisherman too had started to panic as he recalled the events of the other day and with a worried frown, he spoke.

"(Y/N) had been asking around about water spirits yesterday. She came to me and the book-seller at the stalls for information about water horses specifically".

Silence followed his words; even the woman's weeping stalled. They both turned their heads to the fisherman before glancing at each other. "What had you gotten yourself into?" was the only thought in their heads as the man rushed to gather the other villagers in order to form a search party for you. They did not know what a water horse was -none of the villagers knew. They had only heard that the spirits that originated from the ocean, from the malevolent currents of the unforgiving sea, were evil, bad omens that only served as bringers of death and misery.

The mother threw a glance at Bella's clotting wound on her neck and immediately her hands started trembling as she held the reins. The mare nudged her with her muzzle in an attempt to comfort the woman but her efforts barely had any results.

A sizeable party had soon formed, armed with pitchforks and lit torches and some of the merchants who had decided to join in held tightly onto swords and axes. It was not the best they could have brought but for the small time they had taken to come together, it was more than enough. Soon, the father had taken the old mare from his beloved wife, telling her to show the way and the horse understood each word perfectly.