A Murder in Kaapiopsy

With the paper straw perched between my thumb and index finger, I drew circles atop my cup of Belgian chocolate mocha. I was in one of those introspective moods which made me rethink my entire life according to my whims and fancies. I heaved a huge sigh as I realized that I was gradually settling into this mundane life instead of designing it as per my wishes.

I sipped on my mocha, revelling in its saccharine taste. The chocolate in it was already calming my nerves. If I wasn't on a path of self-control, I would have ordered another cup of it. Meanwhile, my eyes roved around the café.

Kaapiopsy was a Victorian-styled café in Chandram. Our town was a quaint one, nestled amidst the Swamimalai hills. Elite coffee shops were a rarity here until an Anglo-Indian resident decided to open one. Within a few months, Kaapiopsy was thronging with customers. It was as if the people of Chandram were waiting for such a coffee shop to open. Though most of the customers were youngsters and tourists, one could spot a senior citizen here and there.

This eye-candy coffee shop was my favourite jaunt. I came here once every three days to rejuvenate myself. On most days, I didn't bring any friends as my solitude was the best companion in that café. Apart from selling coffee and bites, Kaapiopsy also had a bookshelf and a souvenir shelf.

I finished my mocha and looked up to see a queue forming near the billing counter. Author Schwi Ken was signing copies of her new book, Till Death Comes Calling. I had brought my copy too. She was one of my favourite authors and I had never gotten a chance to meet her. So, it was a surprise when she announced on her Instagram page that she was visiting Chandram as a part of the book tour.

I waited for the crowd to disperse so I could have a few words with Schwi. After ten minutes, the crowd had cleared and Schwi fished out her mobile phone to click pictures. I stood up from my table, wore my hoodie, picked up my copy, and walked toward her. Two teens were about to bump me. To save myself from a nasty dash, I placed my hand on someone's shoulder, who was on the table next to where I stood and balanced myself. Before that 'someone' could look up and scold me for touching them suddenly, I scurried away.

I met Schwi and talked to her for a few minutes. She answered all my questions patiently, gesticulating like an actress. Then I got my copy signed and left the café, satisfied that my evening was well spent.

~~~~~

Being a copywriter was not an easy job. It wasn't tough too. It was just monotonous, according to me. My dream was to start a mobile library and drive around Chandram and other nearby hill towns, inculcating the reading habit in people, procuring memberships, and even selling a few books. However, I needed funds to invest and working as a copywriter served my purpose.

After a hard day at the office, I entered Kaapiopsy to enjoy a cup of espresso. As soon as I entered, I realized that something was amiss. There were too many people. They weren't occupying the tables, instead, they were huddled together. Among them, there were people from the press too. As I moved ahead, someone nudged me. I turned around and saw a woman about my age. She told me, "You've finally arrived, our main suspect."

"Excuse me?" I said, confused.

"Don't you know what happened here? Just look around," she replied nonchalantly.

I looked around. And that's when I noticed the yellow duct tape all over the place. I made my way through the crowd and reached the place where the police and the press were engaged in a heated discussion. The outline of a body was drawn with chalk on the granite floor. As I stood gazing at it, a woman police officer snapped her fingers in front of my face.

"Hello, I am Bansuri Mohanka, Superintendent of Police. I have to interrogate you as you are the prime suspect in this murder."

"Me? I don't even know that a murder has taken place here. I haven't even seen the victim yet. How can I be the prime suspect?" I threw a barrage of questions at her.