Chapter 25

"Me being paired with Gordon puts my bloodline and Elsora at risk," Elijah continued. "Even though same gender companions are common, I am not supposed to have one. More so, he shouldn't be the prince of our enemy kingdom, Wru' via."

"You're a prince too?" I asked Gordon.

"Unfortunately." He nodded. "Thankfully, it's my sister who is meant to take the crown or my father would be devastated, more than he is already right now."

"I met Gordon more than a year ago," said Elijah. "Father had insisted for Silas and me to go in his place to one of the meetings with leaders of Wru' via. He wanted us to learn diplomacy and also sniff out our enemies. Oh, I was so eager to outdo those old hags and seek the approval of my father-"

"Eli, you're talking about my people," Gordon interrupted him, "be respectful."  

"What? They are old hags," Elijah countered and Gordon threw him a weak glare. "Well, so are my leaders." He shrugged.

Gordon rolled his eyes but didn't say anything.

"So long story short, I met Gordon there and impressing my father became least of my concerns. One look at him and I knew who he was to me."

"And what followed was homophobia, denial, cussing, clandestine meets and lots of empty threats to keep my mouth shut about us being companions," Gordon deadpanned.

I raised my brows. With the way Elijah treated- or more like worshiped- Gordon it was hard to believe him ever being anything but loving toward his companion.

"Also what followed was tons of apologies, lots of making up, giving up my right to throne, and leaving my home forever with Noah and Silas to be with you," remarked Elijah and Gordon frowned. "Don't put me down in front of Giselle, babe. I bet she's already mad at me on behalf of her boyfriend." He smirked at Noah, whose eyes narrowed at him.

"Just because you're with Gordon you had to give up being a king... You have no control over who is your companion. Why didn't they accept you?" I asked, anxious.

I felt bad for Elijah and Gordon, and their predicament only solidified my fears of being with Noah. He wouldn't be accepted by his people either.

"A part of it has to do it with Gordon being the prince of Wru' via. Elsora and Wru' via have a long-standing animosity. It's a conflict of land, resources, and some bullshit that Rowans did couple hundred years ago.

"But you're right, our rejection mainly was due to that Gordon and I can't reproduce an heir. I bet Father wouldn't mind if I got Gordon's sister, Serena, as a companion. He'd be even planning a merger. You see, Leon Rowan won't miss a chance to take over the enemy land.

"Goblins can only have children with their companions, and unfortunately us homosexuals get the short end of stick. Sure we can adopt, but when you're expected to birth a ruler who will continue your bloodline, it's not the most viable option.

"Rowans and Sylvans have been ruling Elsora the longest. We persisted through wars, challengers and enemies. We remain undefeated. It kind of sucks that our legacy will go down just because I fell for another man."

Elijah must've seen something in my expression because he clicked his tongue. "Don't be disheartened, Giselle. I've made my peace with it. In fact, I'd say I'm more than happy to give it all up if I have Gordon by my side."

"Don't forget about me and Sylvan, brother," chimed Silas, "don't we matter?"

"Of course, you matter even though I wish you were a little less annoying." Elijah gave him a tight-lipped smile, before turning to Noah. "Are you still sulking?"