"I told you that you do not need to work, Violet."

Violet inclined her head in understanding. "I will go and tell Graham."

"There is no need, I will notify him. You just get your things together."

It rankled that he was already issuing orders. Damn. It took all her will power not to tell him to beat it! Moving to her dresser, Violet leaned down and found the small bag she had prepared. "I've packed. I just could not find my brush."

"No matter, I will get you a new one. Hundreds if you want. I meant what I said. I will take good care of you, Violet."

Her anger quickly changed into satisfaction and then discomfort. This is what Violet was hoping for. The softness in his voice was almost tender. It would not take long to gain his trust...this was a good thing, she had to stop feeling uncomfortable.

"Thank you," Violet said as he took her bag from her.

"Shall we?" There was a smile in his voice. For the first time Violet felt a twinge of excitement that had nothing to do with her mission. She was going to be with this man, feel again all those delicious things she had come to know with him. Stop it! Violet scolded herself. She could not begin thinking of such things and lose sight of the facts.

She was going back with this man to get close to Ismail and that was all.

Violet moved until she stood right beside him. The heat from his body as they walked, penetrated her thin blouse and caressed her bare arms.

"Where's your coat?" Patrick asked, stopping a few feet from the rear exit of the tent. 

She had given her coat to a little beggar girl that morning. "I don't have one."

Patrick's muffled curses were followed by a shifting. A moment later his warm jacket enveloped her shoulders.

"We are going to get you one first thing tomorrow, now let's go."

She was glad he followed his selfless actions with imperious orders. Without the commands it would have been much harder to resist softening towards him.  Violet followed as Patrick as he walked through the back arena of the circus. Hay, lions, wood, paint, soil, trees... they were almost out of the tent when a gruff voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Violet?"

Nicu, Violet thought with some embarrassment. The virile gypsy that joined the circus only two days ago was a blessing in Violet's opinion. He was a very talented musician and if the gossiping from the female performers was to be believed, he was also an exceedingly good looking man. Nicu would ensure that the circus continued to attract a large audience and it relieved her mind that she wasn't leaving Graham without a musical act.

"Where are you going, little one?" Nicu spoke in Romany and Violet was glad for it. She was embarrassed by what the man was certainly inferring from the situation. Not that a gypsy would censure a woman who chose to become a mistress.

"I am leaving, Nicu. It was a pleasure to perform with you." The Romany words rolled off her tongue and she moved forward, hoping Patrick would follow. He had gone strangely quiet in the last few moments, but then she didn't think any man liked being left out of a conversation.

"Leaving? With him? I do not trust him." Nicu was at her side, his hand on her arm to stop her from going on.

Violet was about to pull back, then Nicu's hand was gone and a grunt of pain followed.

"I have a small piece of advice for you Nicu, do not presume to touch my woman again."

The words Patrick delivered in choppy Romany chilled Violet to the bone. How did he speak the gypsy language? And what had he done to Nicu?