Tom Breaks Up With Jackie Garrett

Začať od začiatku

"Don't tell me it's Michelle," she nearly scoffed.

I thought it would be incredibly rude to say that she was correct, even though she loved being right. I guess it doesn't matter anymore because I'll never see her again. Once again, my silence sealed my fate.

Jackie wiped her falling tears away as she laughed in disbelief. "I can't believe it."

"It's not you... it's me," I said in an attempt to recover.

"Oh, shut it," she snapped. Her eyes and words were icy, and her fury was burning like rum on a fire. Every day, I felt like I was walking on eggshells around her. She got angry fast, and it's not my job to be constantly worried about that. "I've known about you and her since Christmas."

I did not appreciate the way she said that. She made it sound like I was unfaithful, which was not something I would ever do. I felt my nostrils flare as I said angrily, "look, I don't like that you're implying that I cheated on you, because I'd never ever do that. I'm not that kind of guy and you know it."

"You gave her a heart shaped locket, and you got me socks," she stated with a hiss.

"I thought you needed socks," I defended.

"Not from my boyfriend!"

"I also got you that waffle iron," I pointed out.

"I don't even like waffles, which is why I didn't have one in the first place," she whined.

"Oh." Who doesn't like waffles?

"It's like you don't even listen to me."

"I do listen to you. That's all I've ever done in this relationship is listen to you. I did everything you wanted me to, I barely had any room to breathe."

"You told me I was the only girl you'd ever want in your life. You said there was nobody else. You gave me your word."

"Jackie—"

"You swore that you would never hurt me. But here we are. I am so beyond pissed right now."

"I'm sorry."

"How long has this been going on?" She asked.

"Nothing had been going on."

"It's Mickey," she huffed while shaking her head. "She is pulling us apart."

"No, no she's not. She had absolutely nothing to do with this."

That wasn't entirely the truth. This would have happened regardless if Mickey was in my life or not. What I had with Jackie wasn't love. I didn't like being around her, and I still found myself thinking of Mickey. Jackie would undress in front of me and my mind would gravitate to the girl I loved instead.

"Yeah, right," she barked. "I loved you."

"Oh." I shifted my feet slightly. This was awkward... Even imagining those words coming out of my mouth for her seemed strange. I was more than willing to tell her about my kiss with Mickey from earlier this month when I was trying to help her study, but I kept my mouth shut because that would just be unnecessarily rude.

"What did I do that made you so miserable to be with me?" She asked.

I was not going to let her guilt me into staying with her. She always tried to make me feel guilty whenever I wanted to do something with my friends instead of being with her. Doug bought us basketball season tickets this year and I had to miss every game because of Jackie. She's controlling and hard-headed. I never had the energy to fight with her. "You never let me be my own person. We did everything and anything you wanted. I even pushed away the people who were closest to me because of you."