The Last Photo

“Don't worry, Miguel. Malapit na rin natin itong makabisado. If you serenade your girl perfectly, we don't need to doubt if sasagutin ka niya o hindi because it's obviously yes na.” Diana said while showing her sweet smile.

Diana doesn't know that she's the girl I meant to serenade for. Only my fellow musicians in our bond knew that she's the girl were about to serenade tomorrow. I love her but she ain't recognize yet.

Diana is our vocal guitarist female in our bond. While I, the same position as her.

“Okay, let's get back to the top,” she said then positioning herself in the guitar. She's now sitting on the floor while flipping pages in the songbook. “What's the page again?” She asked with my co-musicians.

We're practicing two songs to make a new explosion version of the classic song we've chosen titled 'HOW DID I FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU' Originally composed by Backstreet Boys and 'MAYBE THIS TIME' originally composed by Michael Martin.

While she's still finding the page of the lyrics, I immediately get my phone and secretly take a photo of her while still sitting on the floor holding her guitar. After taking a photo of her, I immediately put back my phone in my pocket so she won't notice it.

After a few hours of practicing, we're done. I smiled with my bandmates. They were looking at me showing their ‘Be ready’ looks.

Tomorrow will be my confession day. I'm too eager but then I feel so nervous about what will she say. But I'll not let this feeling ruin my confession. As long as I confess, I'll take the result whether she refuse me or not.

The day tomorrow came.

“Where is she? Why she's still not coming yet?” I asked nervously to my mates.

“Com'on, Buddy, chill. Baka na-traffic lang. Maghintay lang tayo.” My friend said trying to calm me.

Hours-long. I let my bond go home. It's already evening. They need to go home.

And Diana hasn't come. I don't know what I should feel right now but one thing that is surely aching, my heart. I felt down by of all sudden.

And then my phone ring. I immediately picked up assuming maybe the caller is Diana. And yes, it's her number.

“Hello, Diana? Where are you?” I answered.

“Excuse me, is this Miguel Rodriguez? Her boyfriend?” Someone asked me in the line. I don't know who owns the voice but it's not Diana.

Even though I'm not her, yet, boyfriend, I say “Yes”. Then suddenly my heart pumps rapidly.

“I'm sorry for the loss Mr. Rodriguez but Diana died a short time ago at 9 AM caused of a car accident. She leaves a message here on her phone before she perished. I haven't informed her parents about this because there's no contact here in her contact box. I'll leave this sudden loss may let you inform her parents or any guardian. I'll cut this off, bye.” Then, the caller ended after telling me the address of the hospital.

Is this a joke?

D-Diana was d-dead?

The only question that constantly pop-ups in my mind right now.

Suddenly, I laughed so hard in the middle of the night laughing about the news I've just got right here in our studio. But then, I break down. My tears fell like an eternity. Then, the sudden door opened.

"D-Diana...?" I stared at her in the thought that why is she here?

Why—

Then I realized that that caller was just pranking me.

“Pasensya na Miguel na-late ako, medyo nagkagulo pa kase sa Northway na dinaanan ko.” She grinned and I, even though my mind was still processing, I smiled back knowing that Diana is not dead.

I stand up formally, then again, my phone ring. It was Jeremy.One of our bandmates. I answered the call.

“Miguel, have you heard the news? We're coming right there in the studio.” Then he cut the call.

“So, where are the others?” Diana asked while looking around.

“They're coming. We'll just wait.” I replied then slightly grinned. She is my Diana, right here, standing in front of me.

“Ahm..okay...” She said then sat down on the floor then looked around again noticing something that make her reaction change.

It also made me realize that the decoration of my confession was designed at the back of mine.

It was written there ‘I love you, Diana. And be my girlfriend.’

“I-I, hmm... Let me explain,” shyly gaze at Diana. I don't know how to start with an open speech. I laughed at my sense.

Then, all of a sudden, she cries and cries. I immediately go near with her and sit in front of her, and asked why she's crying. Then, her answer made me blush and be built the missing piece in my heart.

“I love you too, Miguel.” after saying that, she sobbed like a child and hugged me.

Then the door burst open. My bandmates. One of my mates crying whom  Diana's closest friend in our bond, Lylia.

“Hello, Guys.” Diana approaches our mates while still in sobbing moments.

“M-Miguel, wala na si D-Diana, ”panimula ni Lylia.

“We found out in the news. The reporter said she died in the accident lately at 9 AM.” Bernard proceed.

I laughed at them. “What are you guys talking about? Diana is—” I stopped. Diana was out of nowhere.“D-Diana—”

Then my phone ring. Even though my hands are shaking, I still picked it up but then, it wasn't a caller. My phone suddenly pop-ups Diana's stolen photo. The last photo of hers. After seeing it, it made me burst into tears.