55 - Blushing Be the Bride, Grumpy be the Groom

Two Nights before the Wedding: 

For as few weddings that I went to when I was younger, what I knew for sure was that while there was a lot to love about them, there was a lot not to love as well. That was true of most things, wasn't it? There is always something to love about something, and something to hate. Maybe for some things there were far more things to love than to hate, or perhaps the other way around, but life was about balance, and this was not where I wanted to go with this train of thought.

Back to weddings.

First off, it's important to note that when a married couple talks to you about the planning process, it's not exactly a lie to say that they enjoyed it, but in my experience I have found that they conveniently leave out the worst parts and instead pretend that everything went smoothly and was decided upon the first look upon the options. 

I knew from experience that this wasn't the case.

Flowers that looked nice might not be in season by the time your wedding comes around, so you need to resort to smaller bouquets and displays or choose another flower altogether, or opt for the pricier option of getting them anyway but not grown naturally. 

And what are the bridesmaids wearing? What's the dress code? Flowers are actually rather picky and really only look good when the things around them look good and don't clash with them. As an example, roses wouldn't look good if everyone is wearing... green, for example. It'd clash. It'd look awful. 

That was something we hadn't considered; Levi had wanted roses, because what simpler way was there to show that you loved someone? But then I remembered the color the bridesmaids were wearing - and it wasn't some gaudy green, by the way - and it would just look off and half of them had already picked their dresses and the deposit was down and...

Anyway, that matter was resolved. We had found arrangements that would work with the decorations, the color scheme, and were still breathtakingly gorgeous.

Moving on, when deciding where exactly to get married, you must also consider where the reception will be. How far away is it from the venue? How will people get there? How will they get back to their accommodations or even home for the night, especially if they're drunk off their asses? Is the venue only pretty at a certain time, like at sunset? Is where you're having the reception big enough for dancing and making merry, while also remaining intimate, if that's what you wanted?

There were, obviously, those usual, basic questions, but there were also a lot of logistical issues as well. First off, just know that whatever your budget is, you're going over it. Secondly, if you think you're different and that you might be under budget, you're not special, and it won't be.

Additionally, what kind of guests will you have at your wedding? Are kids allowed? In that case, you need to be careful to plan around a toddler's naptime, the frequent feedings of an infant, the likely probability of a chorus of crying babes while you exchange your vows... Children aside, what about older guests? Are the accommodations actually accommodating? 

Are there guests confined to a wheelchair? (Or perhaps a groom?)

There was a lot to consider, more than I had ever thought possible.

All these issues and so many more plagued Levi and me for months now. But somehow,  miraculously, perhaps only with the help of a fantastic  support system in our friends and family but also in each other... we'd figured it all out. We'd somehow managed to plan a spectacular, beautiful, wonderful wedding.

Well. Here's hoping, anyway.

We'd only know if something had slipped through the cracks until we happened upon it, if we happened upon it.