41 - Melting the Ice Away

After a few quiet minutes walking, taking in the sights and smells and sounds of a city at Christmastime, Levi spoke. When he did speak, his words intruded on the peaceful silence we had adopted while walking together, but it wasn't unwelcome. His voice was, as always, a welcome sound, a welcome intrusion in a way. His voice was one I would never tire of hearing, one I would always listen to eagerly.

Of course, I was inclined to miss what he said now, for he was teasing me.

"We're not here because you forgot to get my parents a present, are we?"

"No," I responded honestly while trying to stifle my laugh, "of course not!" And then playfully, I added: "You think so lowly of me, Levi..."

"Not exactly," he said. "I just know you. And part of that means knowing that you're quite forgetful."

"Not about things like this!"

"You forgot to get your mom a birthday present last year."

He said it so confidently and so surely that I nearly wavered in my conviction, if not for the way that I knew in my heart just how wrong he was.

"Yeah, but that was my mom. Not your mom. And her birthday just so happened to be like two days before our anniversary, so I was focused on that! Never have I forgotten anything for your family, Levi."

He seemed to consider it for a moment, and then another for good measure. "I guess not."

At that instant, a nearby storefront decorated cutely caught my attention. That was saying a lot, obviously, because all the nearby shopfronts were decorated cutely, as was each one we'd already passed by. But something about this one was especially alluring.

Upon closer inspection, I realized it wasn't a store, per se, but rather a small animal shelter. "Oh," I gasped happily, "Levi, let's go in!"

"Go where...?"

He didn't have a chance to really ask his question, nor get my answer, before I began to pull him through the crowd after me. He called my name in a disappointed kind of way but didn't pull his hand from mine.

If asked by a stranger why he looked so upset yet continued to hold my hand, it would be a rare thing for him to answer but in the case that he did, he'd say it was so he wouldn't lose me; not that he was particularly concerned, not at all, but I'd whine and complain if we got separated.

When we reached the door to the shelter, I peeked into the windows to see that all the lights were on, and that they were having a special adoption event for the holiday, meaning they were open late... meaning I could go in and fawn over all the animals... meaning I was about to have a lot of fun.

Happily, and perhaps a bit too excitedly if you asked anyone other than me, I led Levi to the door, and we stepped inside. "Welcome," a worker chimed, glancing at us while dealing with a woman currently looking at the rabbits. "Feel free to look around and ask one of us if you have any questions!"

"We will, thank you," I said politely, smiling at the worker.

"It smells in here," Levi muttered at my side as I began to lead him towards the dogs.

"It's an animal shelter, dear," I said absentmindedly and perhaps more than a bit patronizingly as I came upon the first kennel.

There was a tired Labrador lying down and surrounded by six rambunctious puppies. The mama huffed, lifting her head to nip at a pup playing rather aggressively with their siblings. The sight made me smile.

"Imagine having to buy presents for six puppies," I mused in mock sympathy. "Poor girl."

"Dogs don't-"