Saiki x Hanahaki Reader

I am so very sorry to @25Layla11 . This request was asked for so long ago, and I've been on a huge haitus. I will be doing an A/N later on the matter, but for now I do hope you can enjoy this long overdue story.

***************************************************************************************

One Day in the middle of Spring: Age 15

You were going to be transferring to a new school today. You didn't mind, you didn't have many friends at your old school nor any enemies. You were simple, normal even. Maybe that would help you in the long run since your going to be a freshman. No time to become someone than the beginning of high school. For the upcoming day, you chose to wear your pure germanium ring your father got you with your school outfit. It was a gift for graduating middle school. Girls got off a bit easier for jewelry, but you didn't wish to push your luck any further.

Running through the uncrowded streets covered in fallen cherry blossoms, your new school year awaited. Through the grey buildings, pink cherry tree's, and foreign streets you could see PK Academy. This was it! Standing in the midst of bustling students who absentmindedly passed through the gates, you couldn't help the small smile. A small smile that turned into a shocked expression upon seeing the cutest boy you've ever laid eyes on. His pink hair matching the blossoms littering Japan this season, with odd hairpins you've never seen before. He glanced at you for a mere moment before walking with the crowd of students. It felt like butterflies were in your chest, but that wasn't all that lied there.

Late Autumn: Age 15

You didn't get to talk to him often, but you had learned the boy's name was Kusuo Saiki. He didn't socialize much, and when he did it was mostly his friends forcing him to hang out. You couldn't gain the courage needed to become close to him, but the stares he sent you never managed to escape your gaze. Why does he always glance at me? Does he like me? A pain shot through your stomach at the thought, proving it to be untrue. Earlier that Fall you visited the doctor concerned about your stomach pain. Some x-rays were taken and it proved what was wrong. You had the Hanahaki disease. A little cherry blossom grew inside you. The more you loved Saiki without requited feelings, the more it grew. Your doctor begged you to perform the surgery necessary, but you had to refuse. Love doesn't happen so quick! You just needed time...

Saiki's Pov

(Y/N) (L/N), the one person other than Nindo who's mind I could never read. At the beginning of the school year she transferred in last minute. She was lively, and unlike many of the student here, she didn't stand out too much. I was thankful for that. Recently I noticed she's become pale, but without telepathy I can't figure out the problem. Why do I care so much for her health? Does not being able to read her mind bother me that much?! She isn't an idiot like Nindo so why can't I understand her?! Sparring a glance at her only to meet her gaze. Is she also a psychic?

Between School Years

Almost a full year has passed and yet the tree still bloomed. It became a norm to cough up flower petals so you had to take precautions. Adorning a mask everywhere you went lowered suspicion's of your current illness. You weren't making much progress with getting close to Saiki, at least no to your knowledge. Little did you know that Saiki started to watch you more over the Winter. Using his powers he tried to figure out why he couldn't hear your thoughts.' It's just out of curiosity!' The mantra he'd tell himself every time he found himself outside your house or in the same room as you. He grew attached to you, making sure you were safe from all the drama PK Academy tried to cause you. Nindo almost hitting you with a dodge ball, Kineshi nearly running into you at full speed, and the list goes on. He couldn't figure out why he was so protective until he spoke to his mother. It truly just slipped out that he was interested in you, but his mother thought he had a crush. It was an ear full, but it did help his understanding of his feelings. This school year he will find out if it was mere curiosity or romantic feelings.

First day of PK Academy: Second Year, Age 16

(Y/N)'s POV

Staring at your hand you could only sigh. Your ring no longer fit. The disease causing some weight loss over time. Maybe the doctor was right...I need surgery after all...The thought made you tear up, but there wasn't anything you could do. It can kill you if nothing was done. Tomorrow. I'll have it done tomorrow. With that thought out of your mind, you headed to school.

Class seemed the exact same as the year before except for the different teacher. This year, like the last, you were in Saiki's class. Unlike last year he looked at you more today, worry in his eyes. He never stared at you like that before. It's nothing. I'm just scared about the surgery. He'd never love me, he doesn't love me, this stupid disease proves it...

Saiki's POV

I can read her mind. What is so different other than the mask she's wearing. Was it her ring? She always wore it until today. Her body grew paler, skinnier, and she coughed more than normal.

It's nothing. I'm just scared about the surgery. He'd never love me, he doesn't love me, this stupid disease proves it...

Disease? What disease?! Using my abilities I looked at her through x-ray vision and saw it. A cherry blossom tree. She had the Hanahaki disease. She loved someone this dearly? Who couldn't love her back? She was kind, considerate, and never failed to peek his interest. She's going to die.

The thought hurt him more than anything he's ever thought of before. He confirmed it to himself, it wasn't curiosity, he loved you. He never went this far out of his way for anyone else except his family. Why didn't he notice sooner?

When class was over I hurried after her. Even if I'm not the one she loves, I'm going to confess. You sat on a bench outside, glancing at the sky. It was now or never. Walking over to her, she glanced up. I couldn't see her mouth but her eyes showed happiness and curiosity, but also confusion.

"Hello, (Y/N)."

"Oh, Saiki! *cough* I didn't expect to see you out here. Is something wrong?"

"No, nothing is wrong. *sigh* Yare, Yare. I don't know how to say this, or even if I should say this, but I like you. It seems I've always liked you, but I never realized it. Well, not until recently." Your face lit up, but soon lost it's sparkle. Standing up quickly, the force of the movement and the wind blew your mask off, causing petals to flow along with it.

"You do? It can't be...It's still growing. Maybe you're confused."

"I'm not confused. That tree is." Leaning down, I placed my lips on hers. I could tell she was shocked, but she kissed back immediately, hands wrapping me up tightly. Her lips tasted of cherries. Pulling away I saw a glow coming from her chest before it disappeared. The hanahaki gone for good." I'm sorry you suffered for my lack of understanding emotions."

"Maybe another kiss will make it up to me."

"Maybe being my girlfriend will help too."