Chapter 2 - A Fresh Start

The sound of her tormentor getting out of bed wakes Cristiana the following morning. He moves about the room while she lays perfectly still, keeping her eyes close. She feigns sleep not wanting to draw his attention. The end is near! Soon she will be free.

"I'll see you tonight. Love you." He leans over her, softly kissing her cheek before walking out of the bedroom. She lays in bed waiting to see if he will return. He sometimes does when he's feeling remorseful.

When she's sure Tyson is gone for the day, she throws off the covers and jumps out of bed. A nearly unbearable backache halts her movements. This won't do. She takes some pain medicine to get her through the day. She has a large suitcase and a duffle bag. There's also a medium-sized cardboard box in the hall closet. All of her stuff should fit in in those things. She messages Derrick asking for his help. He comes over right away. Together they gather all her belongings. She's moving slowly from the aches and pain Tyson has yet again inflicted upon her body.

"Maybe you should sit down and let me do all the work," Derrick suggests with a deep frown. She'll be free soon. The reminder keeps him from charging to Tyson's job and showing him how a real man hits.

"No," Cristiana refuses as her cell phone rings. It's an unsaved number calling. "Hello?"

"Is this Cristiana Barnes?" A feminine voice speaks.

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is Mariah Logan, Mr. Skylark's secretary. He wanted me to call and ask you to meet him for a late brunch so that the two of you can review your contract."

Cristiana grimaces. "Oh, um, my friend is helping me move my things. Can't we go over the contract at the house?"

"You can have your friend bring you to the office. Mr. Skylark will meet you in the parking garage." Mariah responds without a preamble.

"Okay," Cristiana sighs. "What time do I need to be there?"

"Eleven o'clock."

"I'll be there."

"Perfect." The call ends without further ado.

It's half an hour past ten when Derrick and Cristiana finally get all her belongings packed. She doesn't have much to take with her. She doesn't need the furniture or the dishes. Although she does take the candy red slow cooker. It was a gift from her mom. She changes into a pair of red and black plaid leggings and a large black graphic tee with black laceless sneakers. Her hair is loose to help cover her freshly bruised cheek.

"Are you ready to finally be free?" Derrick smiles proudly at her. Cristiana is the toughest woman he knows. It breaks his heart knowing what Tyson did to her. He had always refrained from calling the police out of fear that Tyson would blame Cristiana and kill her just to keep her quiet. As the marks and bruises worsened, Derrick grew desperate to make her safe. Now the moment had come. He would miss having her nearby. They'd become great friends. Yet he knows the change is what she needs.

"Yeah, let's go." She walks out of the apartment for the last time without looking back. It hasn't been her home in a long time. It was a prison. A place that brought her nothing but anxiety, pain, and fear. Immense pressure lifts from her shoulders as she gets into Derrick's car. This is the moment she's been waiting for. Soon Tyson will be nothing more than a bad memory.

~~*~~

Cole walks out of his office tugging at his red necktie. He pulls his cell phone from his pants pocket. There are ten messages from the girl from last night. Natalie. She's attractive and decent in bed, but he has to cut ties with her. Last night was their first and last night. She had too many stars in her eyes thinking that a roll in the bed meant they would be together forever. He could practically hear her planning their wedding when she saw his flashy car. He made sure to take the used condoms with him when he left her home in the early morning hours. An old college friend of his was scammed by the turkey baster less than a year ago. Cole won't make the same mistake.