Chapter Seventeen: Hard Truths all Around

Start from the beginning

At least they were back to cousin again, “She doesna understand our ways, Aiden.  I pushed her too hard…she was not ready.” There was no denying that Lori had no idea what it mean for an immortal to find his or her soul-mate. She didn’t understand the cost, or the gravity of the situation.

“How long have you known?”

“Since the first moment I looked into her eyes. She is the one, Aiden. Lori is my soul-mate.”

Aiden only shook his head, “This is not good, Eric.” 

“Aye, I am aware,” Eric sighed.

“What are you goin' to do, then?”  his cousin asked curiously.

Eric rose to his feet realizing it wouldn't be to anyone's benefit if they overheard any of their conversation before he was ready to make any formal announcement.

“Let’s discuss this in the study. I doona want anyone to overhear us.”  

Aiden quickly shut his eyes and raised a hand in front of his face to ward off the unwanted sight, “Gods, Eric! Get some damn clothes on first, will ye? No one wants to see that fuckin' thing. No wonder you had that poor girl in tears!”

Eric laughed for the first time since coming into the kitchen in search of something to eat. He headed back towards his chambers to dress and meet Aiden in his study.

He didn’t think there would be much sleep left for him this night.

*           *           *

“Now that was a close call.” Desmond’s voice came from deep inside her darkened room.

Lori jumped, her body still full of sexual tension and adrenaline thanks to one overly sexed immortal warrior. When Aiden had appeared to make her mortification of the century complete, she’d taken the distraction to get herself off the floor and ran full out to the relative safety of her bedroom. Shutting the door quickly, she’d leaned her forehead against the solid wood, willing her heart rate to slow down. She hadn’t noticed anyone else in the room waiting for her.

“Just get out. Please. I can’t right now,” she whispered, refusing to look at the man who’d turned her entire life upside down.

"We have things to discuss, Lori," he replied, his voice hard and unyielding.

“Discuss what exactly?" she asked, turning around to face him. "How all of this is your fucking fault.”

"Wrong, princess. I didn’t do anything you didn’t ask for,” he replied, purposefully using the same reasoning Eric had only a moment before downstairs.

“I didn’t ask for this,” she replied indignant.   

Des rose from one of the rocking chairs, coming to stand in front of her as he spoke, “Sure you did. You just don’t want to believe it. Think that archway would’ve brought you here if you hadn’t really wanted to come?”

“I didn’t even know this place existed,” she argued.

“No, but I told you what the archway could do, remember?”

“I thought it was a freaking artifact; a historical construct from thousands of years ago on display at the museum!”

Des glared at her, not buying her bullshit story for a second. “Yeah, a historical construct ancient people thought could unite them with the one soul in the entire universe meant for them. You wanted to believe it. You walked through the archway and wished to find your soul-mate and that’s exactly what happened.”