consumed

I whimpered as my dad laid me on my bed. My mom came rushing in and shooed my dad out. "Baby, how are you feeling?" She asked as she sat beside me.

"It hurts..." I whimpered. I pointed to my abdomen and scratched at myself. "Stop, you'll hurt yourself," She pried my hands away and sighed.

My body itched, it felt like thousands of insects were crawling on me. My heart was beating so fast, I thought I was gonna die.

"What else hurts?" She asked.

I dragged in a breath and screwed my eyes shut. "My chest... It hurts to breathe," I wheezed, "there's something wrong with my heart... it's... beating so fast... it feels-" I choked and sobbed.

"It's just your heat, baby." She comforted.

"Mom, it's never... Never like this," I choked.

She gazed at me before shaking her head. "What? Do you know... what's happening?" I cried.

She looked deep in thought, occasionally shaking her head. If she knew what was causing me this pain why wouldn't she say?

"It's not possible... Unless you've met your mate..." She trailed off. I nodded for her to tell me, I couldn't speak, everything hurt.

"When a bond starts to develop between mates, they've bonded together... If one of them is intimate with another wolf, the mate feels it..." She took a deep breath, "they say it feels exactly like you are describing, Ayla." She explained.

I choked back a sob and shook my head, "so this isn't heat? My mate is with someone else." I whimpered.

"Some wolves don't wait, baby. Are you sure you haven't smelled your mate?" She whispered, "your wolf would have to have some sort of connection for you to be feeling like this?" She added.

I shook my head, "I know everyone in this pack, no one is away only Ethan and Mateo..." My eyes went wide I choked.

"They both have a connection with you. Your wolf would have bonded with theirs when you've been around each other. Have you spoken-" I interrupted her by sitting up abruptly.

"No! Ethan wouldn't do that," I whimpered. "Mom, I need to ring him..." I choked, digging through my pocket for my phone.

She nodded and stood up. "Shout if you need me," she nodded before walking out of my room.

I stared at my phone, I needed to ring him... I needed to find out. He wouldn't lie to me, especially if it could help my pain. I'm scared of the answer, if he hasn't slept with someone then he's not my mate but if he has then... He's my mate and he's hurt me in the worse possible way.

Either way, I lose.

I pulled up Ethan's number and pressed the call button. I waited and waited for him to answer but he didn't. I cried out as the pain hit me again.

Mom came rushing into the room and wrapped her arms around me. "Ayla, breathe, baby." She instructed.

I sucked in deep breaths, trying to get as much air in my lungs. The pain disappeared slowly, all I could feel was relief pass through me. My stomach ached but it was bearable now.

"Ethan is ringing you," she mentioned as she passed me my phone.

I glanced at her and she nodded before leaving the room. I answered the phone and held it to my ear.

"Ayla?" He sounded out of breath, my breath caught in my throat and I choked. Maybe he was just training? At least that's what I'll tell myself.

"What's wrong?" He asked, "Ayla, talk to me." He pleaded.

"My wolf has a connection with you... There's no one else that has... Bonded with her..." I wheezed.

"Take a deep breath, Ayla." He coaxed, taking a deep breath of his own. I dragged in a shaky breath and let it out slowly, I repeated that a few times.

"Tell me you haven't slept with anyone?" I whimpered, "tell me what I'm feeling is just my heat and you haven't broken our promise." I sobbed.

I heard him gasp and what sounded like a door closing. He took a deep breath, I held mine while I waited for him to answer.

"Ayla, it will be your heat... I- I promise I- I haven't slept with anyone." He blurted.

My breath caught in my throat. My mind was racing a mile a minute. I don't know what to do or what to think.

"Are you saying I'm your mate?" He whispered, "what are you feeling?" He added.

I whimpered and moved the phone from my ear. I pressed my hand across my mouth and sobbed. This means he's not my mate... That could only leave Mateo... My mate is Mateo. Oh, Goddess, his brother.

"No, you aren't my mate." I whimpered, "I have to go." I choked.

I dropped my phone on the bed and screamed frustratedly into my hands.
The pain had subsided. All I was left with was a dull ache between my legs... This is what heat is. Heat makes you want to go and sleep with anyone you come across, just to take the ache away.

But right now, my mind is too consumed with Ethan not being my mate and the fact that Mateo is... He's my mate and he's slept with someone else.

I cried into my hands as mom came rushing back in. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Ayla." She whispered as she pulled me into her arms "I know how much you loved Ethan." She muttered.

"Ethan isn't my mate," I cried, "He hasn't slept with anyone." I choked. "Mom, it's Mateo." I wailed.

She held me while I cried. My dad came in and by the look on his face, mom had mind linked him to let him know. He was furious, his eyes were black as he stormed out of my room.

I curled up into mom's side as she stroked my hair. My cries soon turned to silent sobs and hiccups, now and again. I felt her kiss me on my forehead as I drifted off to sleep.