Love at First Letter - 21

Start from the beginning

When we left the parking lot, I had expected her to make our way back towards Brett's house but she went the opposite way and when I tried to ask her where we were going she just smiled at me and didn't say a word. When I continued to ask her all she said was, "You'll find out in a minute." And then turned the radio up louder.

Sarah and I pulled up to a mall. Why we were here I had no idea and it looked as if Sarah wasn't going to tell me either. It was already two hours before Brett and I were going to go on our date and I didn't have time to walk through a mall and buy clothes. I should be at Brett's house getting ready.

Sarah pulled me into a store that I didn't notice the name and started thrusting clothes into my arms. "Try these on and show me when you have them on." And without arguing I pivot and head towards the changing rooms with Sarah on my tail. It only took three outfits until Sarah approved of the clothes and told me that we were buying them.

Once we paid for the clothes, Sarah turned to me and said, "Now go put them on." She gestured towards the bathrooms and gave me a push. I looked at her over my shoulders and shook my head when she was tapping away on her phone. "And hurry up." She called just before I walked through the bathroom door.

"Okay, will you tell me why I'm wearing these clothes and why you're rushing me?" I asked Sarah as I struggled to keep up with her in my heels. It was starting to get dark outside and I didn't know what time it was due to my phone dying an hour ago, but I knew that my date has got to be close. "And why I'm not getting ready for my date?"

"You are ready for your date. Your hair and makeup are still done from the interviews and your dressed in cute clothes." I followed Sarah through the door and exited the mall where a familiar boy was leaning up against his old ford truck. It was rustic and black and blue and I absolutely loved it. I smiled at him and then up at Sarah.

"You've been stalling." I accused her, a smile still on my face. "He's been who you've been texting all day?" She just nodded and gave me a push towards Brett, but being in high heels I tripped and found myself falling face first into Brett's chest. I laughed as he wrapped his arms around my waist and set me back onto my feet. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, clutz."

I slapped his arm, "Don't call me that."

"Alright, alright." He lifted his hands up in mock surrender and smiled at me. Brett unwrapped his arms from my waist and opened the passenger seat for me and shut it when I was sitting in the seat. I watched as he jogged around the front of the truck and into the driver's seat. I watched as he drove the stick shift truck with ease and he kept sending me smiles. "Why are you staring at me?"

"No reason." I said to him, not knowing where we were going but wanted to be surprised. "You have got to teach me how to drive a stick so I can get myself a truck like this."

"You like her?"

"Her? The truck is a she? Does she have a name to?"

"Stop making fun of Nicole." He says rubbing his hand over the dash and winking at me. "But I'll teach you if you really want to learn."

"I do."

"Then it's settled."

A few minutes later Brett pulled up to a gate and paid the woman standing there ten dollars. I scrunched my eyebrows and wondered where we were. It was about a mile until we reached our destination and I couldn't believe where we were. It had been a long time since I've been to one of these and I couldn't be happier. There weren't very many cars here, just a few with teenagers who were smoking cigarettes - at least I hoped that's what they were - and being rather loud.