Chapter 14

A month after the accident Eli was yet to see her mother, but she was back at school. She hated it, she wanted to go home and curl up in Delilah's arms and cry. Eli wanted her mother, but she knew her mother wouldn't come. She was currently in maths, Penny and Lucas sitting next and behind her respectively. Penny was writing down notes as Eli laid on the desk, head resting on her folded arms. The substitute teacher suddenly appeared at Eli's desk, "Miss Olsen! You are here to learn, not sleep!"

Her wrinkly hand slammed down on the desk, causing Eli to jump up, "Ow!"

Her hand clutched at her ribs. Penny looked at her friend, then glared at the teacher, before looking at Eli again, "Are you alright? Do we need to take you to the nurse's office?"

The teacher scoffed ,"Miss Olsen is perfectly fine".

Lucas quickly stacked his things and moved to crouch next to Eli, "Lia? Do you need something? Are your ribs hurting?"

She nodded softly, Penny turned to the teacher, "Broken ribs take three to six weeks to heal, it's been four and they're still a little tender", she placed hers and Eli's things on top of Lucas's, "Can we go to the nurse, ma'am?"

Penny didn't wait for an answer, she stood and pulled Eli's arm over her shoulder.

Delilah sat on the couch, Eli laying on her lap. "Robbie's told mom she can't see me, hasn't he?"
"I believe his exact words were, 'Why do you care so much about that bastard, we could have our own children. They won't be as messed up as her'. Fucking wanker", Delilah muttered the last part under her breath, "I dunno what your mom said to that, I kinda ran off after that".

Eli looked at Delilah, "Were you and Adam listening to coversations in public places again?"

"I think even the little old lady next to them shot him a disgusted look at his comment", Delilah said, running her hands through Eli's hair, "How're your ribs? Pain meds kick in?"

Eli nodded softly, "Our sub was a bitch", she muttered, "Why do I have to go to school?"

"You've only got a year left, kid. Go to sleep, worry about your mother tomorrow".

Eli did just that.