Chapter Thirty-Nine

“I don’t want to leave yet!” Izzy exclaimed clinging on to me.

I laughed slightly trying to support both of our weights when Christian held my shoulder, I smiled up at him in thanks.

After the ceremony, we all came back to Christian’s house for a mini celebration. I was more than exhausted after everything and all I really wanted to do was get some rest right now.

“It’s past eleven Izzy, you said that an hour ago. Besides, she needs to rest.” Ryan said trying to yank his sister off me.

“How about I come visit tomorrow? I’m glad you’re a lot better now. I can spend more time with you.” I promised her.

“Deal.” Izzy reluctantly agreed and let go of me.

“Don’t forget our grad outing plans tomorrow.” Aella reminds me stepping forward towards me.

“I won’t.” I replied curtly and then she pulled me into a tight hug.

“I’m feeling left out here.” Becca pouted and we pulled her into the hug before letting go a few seconds later.

“Good night guys!” I yelled as they all got into Jake’s car and drove off.

“I am so tired.” I drawled out now fully resting my weight on Christian.

“I know.” He replied lifting me up into his arms effortlessly, a few months ago I would probably have protested but I relaxed into his warmth. I didn’t have to fight alone anymore and I knew I could rely on him, always.

We were in his room in seconds and he placed me down on his bed. I crawled under the duvet letting out a sigh. Head banging, chest hurting, eyes dizzy, I wanted to call it a night.

Christian joined me a few seconds later, he adjusted the duvet so it was both covering us. I turned so I was facing him, reaching up, I ran my hand through his hair playing with it. Slowly, my hand dropped from his hair to his face, stroking his cheek slightly as I smiled at him.

“Mine.” I laughed.

“Yours.” He took my hand and kissed it.

“You know.” I adjusted myself so I was closer to him. “I heard when you die, you have seven minutes of happy memories.”

“Yeah, I heard that too.”

“I know what my seven minutes are going to be.” I yawned blinking my eyes sleepily.

“I’ll be honored to be those seven minutes but we still have much time left ok? We can talk about that later” he frowned slightly.

I knew he hated talking about how much time I had left, he always tried to avoid it even though he knew it was inevitable. According to the doctors, I had two to three months left.

I, on the other hand, found peace in it. I was happy and I knew that I had spent my remaining days surrounded by the people I loved. I always thought I would die a lonely death but this was far from it.

“Go to sleep, it’s been a long day.” He said putting off the lights.

Closing my eyes gently with his thumb, he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to himself so my head was resting on his chest.

I didn’t protest, I just snuggled into him letting the exhaustion and sleep take over.

Breathe! Breathe! Breatheee!

My eyes snapped open as the pain in my chest exploded. I let out a choking scream as I gasped for air that didn’t seem to enter my lungs. Christian was up instantly asking me what was wrong.

I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t talk, I couldn’t scream! The tears streamed down my eyes as I clawed my throat begging it to breathe! Just take the damn oxygen, it’s free!

I found myself passing in and out of consciousness as my body shook violently. I felt my body being picked up, I heard different voice yelling but I could barely understand what was going on. Succumbing to the darkness, my body went limp against the arms that were holding me up.

When I woke up again, I was in a hospital. Bunch of IV’s connected to me and cannulas in my nose. My lungs still felt like they were fire and breathing still seemed like a hard task. Next to me, Christian was asleep on the chair.

At the other side of the room was Rick and Karen.

“C-Christian.” I called out, my voice hoarse and shaky.

Instantly his eyes snapped open and he moved close to me holding my hand up.

“I…wh-what..”

“It’s ok, you’re ok.” He said squeezing my hand slightly.

Rick and Karen were by my side the next instant.

“D-doctor...c-call.” I forced out in between gasps. “C-can’t breathe.”

Rick ran out shouting for a doctor.

“You’ll be fine, you’ll be fine.” Christian repeated, tears pooling in his eyes as his voice cracked slightly.

“I l-ove you.” I said reaching up to wipe the tears that had escaped.

To hell with breathing, to hell with the pain. I wanted to take his pain away.

“I will al-always love y-you.” I breathed out through the pain, I didn’t care because I might never get to say those words again.

“I love you more Kaylee, more than you could ever imagine.” He choked out through the tears.

Then he bent down and kissed me. Kissed me slowly, warmly and passionately. Like that was the last kiss we would ever share, and maybe it was. I kissed him back with the same energy, passion, never wanting to let go. 

The doctors and Nurses rushed in with Rick and started attending to me, pulling him away from him. I lifted my hands to hold his one last time and gave him a small smile with the little energy I had left.

The last thing I saw before the doctors completely covered my view was his smile. I could see the pain in his eyes as he watched me but he smiled back at me. It was enough for me.

I could hear the heart monitor beeping loudly by my side, I could feel my consciousness slipping in and out again and I knew this time I might not wake up. I didn’t try to fight it, I don’t even think I could even if I wanted to.

My eyes slowly open and closed as everything seemed to come to a stop. It was silent. It was warm. It was peaceful. I always wondered how dying felt like, who knew it felt so blissful?

 I let out a small sigh as I closed my eyes and let the darkness and numbness slowly take over.

I can finally rest.

.
So is this too sudden? Like I said feedbacks,s are definitely appreciated😭❤
One more chapter till epilogue and its gonna be a double update so I can finally mark my first story complete🤭

BTW I keep trying to send individual thank messages on your notice boards but I don't know why most of them don't work, so here's a general thank you for all the support you guys show my book😩 Every single notification makes my day❤