Twenty Eight

*Alex's POV*

I packed the last suitcase from my room and walked into the living room where my father was waiting for me.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Alex. I'll try and get over there as soon as I sort things out with work," my Dad whispered, wrapping me in an airtight hug.

"I'll be okay, Dad. Really. You just make sure you take care of yourself, okay?"

He nodded his head and stood at the door as I wheeled my luggage outside.  I threw my bags into the back of the Jeep and gave him one final hug before I departed my family home for the last time.

The drive to the Caldwell residence was short, and I left my bags in the car and went inside.

Lindsay and Jessica were both standing in the living room when I entered the house. Lindsay and I hugged. She cried. I cried. She cried some more.

"I can't believe you're actually leaving," she hiccuped, wiping the tears from her puffy eyes.

"We'll see each other all the time, Linds. You're my best friend," I reassured her. 

She stood back and straightened up, cleaning her face.

"You're right. And don't you dare go finding a new best friend," she warned. We both laughed and I looked at Jessica standing like a statue behind her.

Lindsay looked back and whispered, "I'll give you two some space. I'll meet you in the car, Alex."

After she closed the door behind her, I met Jessica's gorgeous steely-blue eyes. We stood awkwardly, a couple of metres distance between the two of us.

"Jessica," I whispered.

"I know," she whispered back.

"I have to go."

"I know," she repeated.

My heart beat was racing, my anxiety skyrocketing, and my breathing shallow. In contrast, Jessica stood and spoke like a robot, not portraying any emotions.

"We can try long-dista-"

"It won't work," Jessica interrupted. "I remember what it was like at your age. You have your whole life ahead of you, and you'll have endless happiness with, or without me. I'm just hindering your happiness."

"You are my happine-"

"Don't," she interrupted again. "It will just make this harder."

"What now, Jess?" I asked, stepping closer to her and holding her face in my hands.

She stepped out of my grasp and her steely gaze locked on mine as she said, "I think it's best if you go."

My hands fell to my sides and I rose my shoulders, keeping check of my emotions. I turned around and opened the door.

"Alex," I looked at Jessica over my shoulder as she emphasised, "I do love you."

I took a deep breath.

"I know," my voice spoke firmly, and I walked out of the house, closing the door between Jessica and I.

~~~

I sat in the passenger seat as Lindsay drove the Jeep to the train station.

"Are you sure I can keep her?" Lindsay asked, rubbing her hands over the smooth leather of the steering wheel.

"Of course. I know you'll treat her right," I replied, patting the dashboard lovingly.

Lindsay and I sat in a peaceful silence until we arrived in the train station parking lot.