十六 (Sixteen)

(Koan's POV)

I was about to walk into the kitchen when I heard Arielle start speaking.

"Meeting him...." She trailed off as I leaned against the wall right outside of the doorway.

I was intrigued by what she was going to say.

"Knowing it was physically impossible, knowing it was the first time I'd had ever laid eyes on him, knowing that he was a complete and utter stranger, it felt like I already knew him with every fiber of my being. I had this....feeling in my heart, mind, and soul that he was a part of me. That he was someone I'd met in a previous life. We locked eyes from across the room and it was like deja vu hit me. I felt like I had seen him before.His...... presence was comforting and fascinating, even though I knew he was a complete stranger. From the start, I've felt a pull towards him, like he was a missing piece from my life. The way he looks at me, consumes me in ways I never thought possible. Ever since that day...he looks at me...... with fire in his eyes, as if I'm, quite possibly, the answer to every questions he's ever had. And every day that I'm with him, ever second I spend with him, the more I....the more I feel myself falling for him."

"But?" My mom said softly.

"But I know... I know that I could bring back something from the hospital and accidentally give it to him. I know that...us...doing things could..."

"Elle," mom said, grabbing Elle's hands. "Koan is a big boy. He knows what he's doing. He knows his body better than anyone. He came to us when he was seven and told us that he needed to go to the hospital. We couldn't find anything wrong with him, but we took him anyway. Turns out, he had an inner ear infection. The only thing he had to go on was issues with his balance which is a common symptom of ear infections. Plus, Doc works at the same place you do and he's been around Koan for years."

"I know. I just....worry too much I guess."

"You worry too much because you care so much."

Before they could go on any more, I walked in.

Mom smiled when she saw me, patted Elle's hands, and then went back to digging in the fridge. Elle slightly turned and gave me a smile, but I was shocked to see unshed tears in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away and turned back to face my mom.

"What would you like for lunch, Koan?" Mom asked.

"Whatever Elle wants." I responded.

Mom grinned and looked at Elle.

"Oh...um....what are you making for everyone else?"

"Soba."

"What?" Elle asked.

"Noodles." I answered, leaning against the island beside her.

"They're thin Japanese noodles made from buckwheat. It's served either chilled with dipping sauce or hot in a soup form. Everyone in this family likes it hot except..." Mom trailed off with a grin and side glanced at me.

"Our Ko-Ko?" Elle grinned.

I bumped her shoulder with mine for using that nickname and she laughed.

"I'll try it Koan's way." She said causing mom to smile.

"Koan's way it is then."