Chapter 24 - Pity Party

Start from the beginning

I wouldn't be surprised if he did hear them though, they were very obvious and didn't even try to hide it when they were around him. The only people who didn't make fun of him were Kaede, Rantaro, and Gonta.

I jumped at the sudden ring of the bell, pulling me from my thoughts. I guess I should get to class, ill study Kokichi more later. I began to walk to my awaiting class, still thinking of Kokichi.

Time skip to Tomorrow, 1pm

Kokichi's POV

I sat at the table, watching the clock with large, excited eyes. I was so excited for Shuichi to come that I couldn't even sit still. My hands subconsciously balled into fists and came close to my chest every now and then.

I looked down at the pastel purple cake in front of me. Looking and studying the details. I slightly shuffled in my seat, uncomfortable at the thought of eating, but I promised myself I would eat for Shuichi.

I had put two candles into the cake I bought. The first candle was shaped into the number 1, while the other was shaped into the number 6, making the whole number 16. Both candles weren't lit yet, since I was waiting for Shumai to come and blow them out with me.

On the cake, the words "Happy Birthday Kokichi" were written in purple frosting. I glanced at the clock again. About 20 minutes had passed since I last looked at it. It was now 1:56pm.

I moved my stare to the door, waiting for Shuichi to knock any minute now, eager for someone to finally celebrate my birthday for the first time since I was 7. My 7th birthday wasn't the best, but atleast it was acknowledged.

I waited and waited, a smile was glued onto my face even as tears began to fill my eyes. I forced myself to keep that smile on my face for as long as I could.

I put both of my arms on the table infront of me and rested my head on them, feeling longing for anyone to come at this point.

Maybe Shuichi is just late. I thought to myself in a desperate attempt in staying calm. But instead of succeeding, I ended up crying in the end, feeling despair win me over.

(oh boy, here come the despair jokes..)

Shuichi's POV

Kaede had invited me over today, not knowing it was Kokichi's birthday. Despite his presents being neatly lined up on my desk for me to take in the morning, I had passed them absent-mindedly.

And it was the worst thing I've ever done.

I passed by Kokichi's dorm, completely forgetting about his birthday. I knocked on Kaede's door and waited for her to answer. When she did she had let me in and we had talked for a while.

I felt a very strong gut feeling, as if I were forgetting something. It wouldn't go away and no matter how much I tried to ignore it, it would keep coming back.

"Hey Kaede, I feel like I'm forgetting something.." I admitted. Kaede pointed her finger and said, "If you forgot about it, its probably not important!" I thought about those words for a while before finally speaking again.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

Kokichi's POV

I stared at the door, tears rolling down my cheeks at this point. I just wanted somebody, anybody, to come even if it was just for a second. I wanted someone to tell me happy birthday and celebrate with me.

I just didn't want to feel alone.

I glanced back at the clock, it was now 2:46pm. Now Shuichi was even more late. I brought my palm up to my eye and wiped away my tears, only for them to come back in less than a second later.

Maybe I should just end it all right now, like I had originally planned... I thought, the overwhelming feeling of loneliness was starting to get to me. It was the feeling I hated the most, because it was my biggest fear.

And, even though Shuichi didn't know this, he somehow always managed to use it against me. Its sad, if I'm being honest. I'm sure he doesn't mean to hurt me, but he does, sometimes..

But its okay! I forgive him, and I always will forgive him, no matter how bad he ends up hurting me I'll still keep trust in him. Right?

I'll keep waiting. He'll come any minute now. I'm sure of it! I just have to keep looking at the clock and he'll come..
I.. hope..

I decided to take a mini nap to pass time. Hopefully by the time I wake up Shuichi will arrive. He wouldn't miss my birthday, right?

He doesn't seem like the kind of person to miss my birthday. I mean, he wouldn't do that sort of thing on purpose, I'm sure. It would most likely be on accident if he even did it.

I rested my arms on the table and burried my face into them, tired from crying so hard. Shumai will come soon... I repeated in my head, trying to not cry as I felt myself drift off to sleep.

I woke up, it was still light out, but Shuichi still wasn't here. Maybe not a lot of time passed..? I checked the time, and my heart dropped. It was now 4:02pm, which meant Shuichi was 2 hours late.

Am I just... that.. forgettable....? Am I not important..? It was confusing to me, I had reminded him a few times. Did I not remind him enough? Or.. did he just forget.. so.... easily..

I felt tears fill my eyes again, and this time, I didn't have enough strength left to keep them in. I let them fall and loud sobs escaped my throat. I got up from my chair and went to my bathroom, pulling out the box from underneath the sink.

I took out a rope, it was already tied into a noose, pre-made for scenarios like these. I took out a chair and brought it to my bedroom, setting it down on the floor and climbing onto it.

Shuichi's POV

Suddenly, it came to me. The thing I was forgetting was Kokichi's birthday. I felt like such an asshole for forgetting, and I couldn't even imagine how sad Kokichi must be right now.

"Kaede! I'm so sorry but I forgot about something important and I need to go tend to it now! Sorry! I'll text you later!" I heard Kaede call back, saying it was fine and that she understood. It was relieving to say the least, I didn't want to have two sad people on my hands.

I rushed to my dorm and grabbed the presents as fast as I could before running out of it. I ran down the hall and reached Kokichi's dorm. I turned the knob, and to my surprise it was unlocked..

Kokichi wasn't anywhere to be seen. I had put down the presents on the table before turning around, and then seeing..

Kokichi's POV

I had already started tying the rope around a hook that hung from the ceiling. It was practically just teasing any suicidal person who laid their eyes on it.

I was about to put the loop around my neck, before I heard my front door open. Panicking and not wanting anyone to see my current state, I got off of the chair and wiped my eyes, trying to dry my tears as quick as possible.

When I opened my bedroom door and saw who was standing in the dining room, I couldn't hold in my emotions, and I just seemed to break down.

I wrapped my arms around Shuichi and sunk my face into his shoulder, crying harder than I was before. I was just so happy he finally came. I wasn't alone anymore.. well, atleast, for now I wasn't..

2051 words. I am SOOOOO SORRY, I was supposed to publish this on Kokichi's birthday (yesterday) but I was busy with many other things and I deeply apologize for not updating in such a long time! I'm also sorry if this chapter is written badly, it is because Im writing at 4am and im very tired but i can't sleep- anyways, I will be updating normally again, and I'll try to get the next chapter out as soon as possible!