37 | The Treasure Hunt, Part I

Start from the beginning

"So, like Han, then? That guy is also here searching for a specific item, I'm assuming?"

"Most probably. This is a big island with endless possibilities. I'm sure everyone who's ever interested in any treasures will be here."

Lyn nodded. She still did not fully understand treasure hunts, but she knew that, just like Han, and just like that person with the compass, there was a specific 'treasure' she was going to find.

"Hey, stop that!"

A familiar voice snapped Lyn out of her thoughts. What the hell?

"You stop that! Don't walk into me!"

"I'm not walking into you! It's not my fault that there's so many vines around..."

Lyn spun around. "What the heck, Irene, Em?" she exclaimed. "What are you guys doing here?"

The two women, who were stomping through the forest while glaring at each other, stopped dead in their tracks. Their faces contorted into a mix of anger and embarrassment as they turned towards Lyn.

"Why do you think we're here, idiot?" Emily muttered under her breath.

Lyn stared at them and sighed. "Did you guys come here because of me?"

Irene and Emily looked at each other before averting their eyes away, flustered and abashed.

"Why would you do that?" Lyn shook her head as she pinched her nose in frustration. "You do know this is an open quest, right? You know it can be very dangerous, right?"

"Well, you are here too, aren't you?" Emily spat. "If you know it's so dangerous, why are you here?"

Lyn had nothing to say to that. "Just... go back home, the two of you. Please."

"Hell no," Irene grumbled. "I'm already here, so I'll leave only after I find some gold at least, or diamonds, or whatever there is to find."

With that, she marched forward, pushing Lyn aside with her shoulders.

Emily followed suit. "Whoever finds it first gets it!"

"Oh, hell no, they're mine!" Irene picked up her pace.

Competitiveness took over, and the two of them dashed forward, leaving Lyn and Neil behind.

Lyn groaned. She was sure she had kept mum about this quest, so how did they even find out about it?

"I can't believe they're here," she said with a sigh.

Chuckling, Neil patted Lyn on the back. "Don't worry about them. They're both really strong."

"I know that..." Lyn pursed her lips in worry.

Open quests, no matter how benign they might sound, still bugged her. She had only been fine with participating in them as long as it was between her and Neil. But now that Irene and Emily were both implicated in this, she had a sudden urge to end this quest as soon as possible.

"Come on, we don't have time to waste," she mumbled as she picked up her speed.

Following behind Emily and Irene—whose quarreling voices could be heard even from a mile away—Lyn and Neil trekked through the forest and into a clearing. A cave entrance stood in the middle. The moss-covered stone blended into the background, its opening enshrouded by vines and ferns. But what little camouflage it tried to have, however, was ruined by the commotion from within the cave.

Lyn cursed inwards—of course there would be a cave. She cursed once more when the two women walked straight into it.

"Do you want to go?" Neil probed.