(2) House of the Rising Son | Part 1

Am I anxious returning to a remnant of my past? Maybe. I mean, in a sense New Orleans wasn't that different from other kingdoms my family has taken so my brother could feed his god complex, but there was something special that gave me goosebumps at the thought that I'm currently in a car racing for the city.

Meeting up with Rebekah proved to be difficult since I refuse to even step foot in the state of Virginia ever again, but we came to a compromise and I got picked up at some shady bar in Georgia, at least I didn't have to kill anyone. Still, waiting for her convertible for almost 12 hours left me incredibly bored, and when I'm bored that's when the alcohol comes out.

This drive is taking forever, not helped by my sister's terrible taste in music, I guess being in a box through the golden age of rock didn't help the situation but I digress. The car itself is also annoying, no top means wind keeps blowing my long ass hair which I refuse to cut because fuck you Elijah into my face.

Elijah, fuck! Why did I have to make myself nervous again? I hope he isn't too damaged because I selfishly left him alone with Klaus. I should know better, and yet I keep telling myself that Klaus loves him too much so I don't need to worry. I know he can take care of himself, but in rare cases like this he can be surprisingly stupid.

"Tia, I'm nervous too, but can you stop tapping your fingers against my beautiful door? I need to concentrate on driving." Was I tapping again? Damnit!

"Sorry Beks, it's this damn car, I feel like I'm suffocating on the humidity!"

"Welcome back to the Deep South!"

"Is it too late to turn back around?"

"Are you joking?"

"Unfortunately."

"Damn!" She genuinely looked disappointed. At least I'm not alone.

"Remind me why we care so much about Elijah when he puts himself into these situations?"

"Because he looks after us." Not as much as Klaus, the one who needs it the least. "And he loves us." My dear brother Elijah: loyal, caring, more than occasionally flawed.

"And we love him too. Suffers alongside us, yet keeps moving forward." He never does take credit for how much bullshit Klaus puts him through, I can see pros and cons with that mentality. "Are we there yet?"

She just laughs. "You can be such a baby." At least I don't throw tantrums like some people. I mean what?

><><><><

Okay, so we're not technically in New Orleans. Elijah must've informed Rebekah on the where, something I didn't even consider. Apparently they're staying at the old plantation house we stayed at when we first arrived in Louisiana. Pretty big house for 3, well now 5 people, but I guess the compound is even larger than this.

Walking through the big doors, I noted how quiet it is without all the racist slaveholders walking around. Fuck this place! Should've burned this shithole down the moment we moved into the Quarter.

We didn't even make it two steps before being accosted by a brunette warily walking down the stairs.

"Who the hell are you?" Well that's one way to make an introduction.

My sister jumps to respond to the skeptical brunette. "Oh, you must be the maid. My bags are in the car; get them, will you?" I had to bite back a smile. Oh, Beks.

The girl is almost down the stairs giving us a half smile. "Hello. Not the maid." This girl's got some attitude. I like her.

Rebekah nods. "Right. You're that werewolf girl my brother, Klaus, knocked up. I was expecting to see some kind of supernatural, miracle baby bump. Guess you're not showing yet. It's Hayley, isn't it?" Is that her name? Well thank fuck I don't have to ask now.