Chapter Fourteen - Silencing the Fuss

Chapter Fourteen

I had long forgotten that Eijaz had asked to speak to me after the conversation with Aaliyah and half an hour later, while I was still cooking for her, Eijaz walked into the kitchen with his arms crossed over his chest.

I gasped, "Oh my gosh, I completely forgot and came to make some food for our guest. I'm so sorry!"

I continued to stir the sauce in the pot, while keeping an eye on the pasta boiling in another.

"I was waiting for ages," he grumbled.

"I know, I'm so sorry. It's just that... she hasn't eaten all day so I thought..." I trailed off, twisting my neck to face him as he sat by the table.

"You know what? It's fine, I understand." His words didn't exactly match his tone but it was softer than before.

I gave him a grateful smile.

"I promise I was going to tell you. I didn't want you to find out like that and I was about to tell you when we heard Mum screaming," I explained or rather struggled to.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. Can you come sit for a second so we can speak? Let's be quick," he asked, gesturing for me to sit next to him.

I looked back at the sauce and decided, a couple of minutes wouldn't do harm. I lowered the heat for both pots and wiped my hands against a towel before taking a seat opposite him. That's when I noticed how exhausted he looked; the bags under his eyes were a few too many shades darker and his skin just looked worn out.

"Are you okay?" I asked, reaching out to touch his hand that was resting on the table.

He immediately flinched and glanced over at the door.

"Sorry, what if Mum walked in?" he apologised, placing both his hands under the table now, most likely on his lap.

I sighed. I rolled my eyes discretely, while he was looking down. Why does this have to be an issue? We're married and it's not like we're doing anything inappropriate; I was just trying to make sure he was alright.

"Yeah. Fine," I responded. "So...?" I prompted, wanting to get this conversation over and done with.

"Look, Hafeezah, I genuinely don't mind your friend staying over but I only wish you had told me beforehand. At least I could have prepared Mum, even if you told me on your way with her. You know how Mum can be with these things," he reasoned.

"I'm really sorry! It all just happened so fast and I didn't expect to see her. She's really in need of our help," I begged, hoping he would understand.

"Hafeezah, I said I get it, you don't have to explain yourself," he sounded irritated.

I rolled my eyes; if he didn't want an explanation then why did he bring all this up again.

"Anyways, just make sure there's no trouble for Mum. We need to start picking up the slack," he continued.

"What slack?" I began to argue. "No tro..." I trailed off when I saw Aaliyah entering the kitchen through my peripheral vision.

She had taken a shower and dressed in a blue hoodie, her hair covered by the hood and the draw strings pulled tight to prevent it from coming out and a pair of jeans. She gave me an uneasy smile as if apologising for interrupting.

"Hey," I smiled reassuringly.

At the same time, Eijaz turned to look at the door and then lowered his gaze when he realised it was Aaliyah. He stood up to leave.