Seven

I knew it was going to be a difficult shift, as I was so tired and nothing I took could shake this headache.

The sun was out and people had moved out on to the street to enjoy the outdoor space. We had a dozen tables, which we'd often provide table service to. If we didn't, then people could get confused at which bar they belonged to, order next door and sit in our spaces.

Gary had put me in charge of those tables today. I had hoped I could skulk away in a corner until my hangover passed. I didn't really feel I could ask though, as Gary has let me go early last night. If he knew I'd come to work with a hangover because of that, then he wouldn't be happy. I didn't want to take the piss.

The outside air did little to help my situation. I faked smiles as I took and delivered people's orders.

I managed to act like a normal person for the first hour, but I started to feel worse. I felt dizzy, but tried to shake myself out of it. At the far end I could see four men, maybe in their late twenties or early thirties. They'd obviously just arrived as I couldn't remember serving them and the table was full of empties.

'Let me just clear the table and I'll come and take your order,' I said.

I could feel one of the guys looking at me. He was blonde, muscular with a thick stubble. He wore a vest top that showed off the many hours he clearly spent in the gym.

The four men chatted between themselves as I tidied the table. But the blonde guy was silent as he watched me.

Surely I can't have been with him, I thought. I'd definitely remember an incredible body and a chisled jaw line like that. If I had been there before, then I hated myself for not remembering it. I sneaked a two second glance at him. He did look vaguely familiar, but I was sure it wasn't from that. The way he looked at me wasn't of recognition. It was something else, but I couldn't work out what. It was intense stare, like a hunter would its prey. He never took his eyes off me. Even as I walked away I could feel his eyes were on me.

I put they tray of empties down on the bar, where the other barman Jason, took them from me. I had to go out to take the man and his friends' order. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. There was no doubt he was smoking hot, but his attention made me uncomfortable. I couldn't tell if he was staring because he didn't like me, or because he wanted to fuck me. He was impossible to read.

I asked them what they wanted and they all ordered beers. The look he gave me was just as intense as the first time. I went inside to get their drinks.