Chapter 34: Zombie Luna

ابدأ من البداية

She's been in the infirmary all day after pulling night duty on patrol. 

When I looked to her sleeping form, I couldn't stop the burst of guilt in me. I should be running patrol. I should be protecting my pack the way a Luna does. Yet, I was stuck in this ivory tower, nothing to do but sit and rot. 

Finally, night rolled around and I sent her back to her room. A Luna's order to take the night off, even though my words hold no official capacity of authority. 

Not five minutes after she'd left, Aiden finally clocked in. He forwent his comfy and dustless room to keep me wrapped in his arms at night. Those moments were the highlights of my day.

When he stepped through the door, looking tired and rugged, I couldn't help but throw my arms around his neck and twine my legs around his waist. He let out a tiny 'oof', but returned the embrace as he wrapped me in his arms. 

"Hey," I whispered his ear before pulling back and catching his small smile.

A smile that lifted his shoulders as if I took the weight off them. 

Silently, he went over the bed, laying us both down on the soft mattress yet keeping me wrapped in his arms. 

"Hi," His warm breath fanned across my face, making me blush at both his nearness and the way his eyes sparkled while looked at me. 

"How was your day?" I asked as my fingers brushed his long hair at his neck.

Groaning, he pulled me closer, held me tighter. "I want to tell you that everything if fine, that I have everything under my control...but I'd never lie you, Tate. Not ever again."

I cupped his cheek, smoothing my fingers over his stubble, "Then don't."

Nodding, he opened his heart to me. The brick wall no longer standing between us.

"It's tiring. The pack seems to be more suspicious of each other. Dylan's betrayal left a nasty scar in our pack's minds, making us wary and distrustful. Even if it wasn't his intention, he chipped away at our pack mentality."

The fire in his eyes screamed for blood, a vengeance for his people and his pack's pride. And I was going to do everything in my power to help him get it.

"Let me help you," I said and he immediately started shaking his head. "Aiden, let me come back, please. I can't sit here all day knowing those damn leeches are preparing to slaughter us, to take Tourmaline."

His expression was pained as he held my hand that was resting on his cheek and slide it to his lips where he pressed a tickling kiss.

"I want you by my side, Tate. I need you there. But I can't risk your safety or Tourmaline's or the pack's. You were an ounce of blood away from death, if you came back now they would know," His teeth grinned together, eyes holding mine as he readied for a fight. "I won't put you in a position to get hurt ever again."

The anger in my blood that wanted to protect my mate and pack simmered at his statement. I knew he was right, was explained the situation before, but how could I sit here. Worst yet, how could my very existence put everyone in harm's way. We each had to pick our battles in life, and this time I chose to back down. Because this was a fight I'd neither win nor wanted to face the consequences of if I did.

So instead I pressed my lips his, taking him by surprise. The shock didn't last long as he wrapped his arm around my waist and opened his mouth to my demanding tongue. 

Aiden didn't kiss with hesitation anymore, now he kissed me like a starved man whenever we were alone, and I can't deny that I've haven't been equally as ravenous for his soft lips on mine. Our breaths mingled, our hands explored, our feeling deepened.