And she realised why Lunar was bigger, brighter, and more exciting than Earth. Here there were people who had both leisure time and money, and the City had grown to accommodate them. On Earth there was little time for pleasure; life was devoted to work and training, and there was no need for a vibrant, sparkling nightlife. On Lunar, things were different.

Different. That really was the right word. After a lifetime growing up in a city where everything was always so much the same, Lunar was full of differences. And looking around her, Aurelia was torn with emotions. Primarily, she was afraid. This place looked loud, busy and dangerous; she would have no idea how to navigate the city. But she was also jealous. It took her a moment to identify the feeling. But she was envious, envious of these people's freedom, envious of the colours, lights and excitement that she had never had.

The transporter dropped another level as it went around a corner, and on a nearby vid screen Aurelia caught sight of a picture of a shuttle. As they got closer it became obvious that this was a report about what had just happened to her, and as the camera moved around the ship, Aurelia was shocked to see just how much damage it had incurred. Massive sections of one side of the shuttle were gone, held together only by the healing film. She found it hard to believe that they had made it to Lunar at all. Seeing the picture brought her mind back to what she was here for, and she checked on the other three patients in the transporter. Two of them were tranquilised, and the third was sleeping.

"Destination imminent," the transporter announced.

Aurelia looked up and saw Lunar City Hospital. She'd seen pictures of it before and was familiar with the large white stone building, but it was far, far bigger than she'd ever imagined. The building towered above anything else in the area, and as the transporter slid through the gates, Aurelia felt dwarfed.

The transport pod had been programmed to take them straight to the trauma docking bay, and after docking, med staff swarmed over the bay, carrying patients out of the arriving pods. Aurelia exited her pod and stood, waiting, until a tall female came over to her.

"Go to the door and you'll be directed to a free exam bay," she said, curtly.

The woman had long, blond hair that was curled neatly into a bun, and her skin had a translucent glow. She was beautiful.

"Actually," said Aurelia, "I'm here to work; my name's..."

But she didn't get to finish. "Were you on the shuttle?" the woman asked in a sharp voice.

"Yes."

"Then you'll be examined before anything further can be done."

Aurelia bit her lip and refrained from responding to this, and the woman turned and walked away, hurrying to the next transport pod. Fine. If that's the way it has to be. Aurelia began walking over to the large doors guarding the entrance of the trauma centre, but she was interrupted on her journey by someone shouting her name. Looking around, she saw Jonathon. He was alert but carried on a stretcher.

"Hey! Tell these guys that med Workers are supposed to be gentle!" he yelled, with a smile.

She went to his side. "They're doing the best that they can, and anyway, patients aren't supposed to complain," she said.

"Or what?"

"Or they get extra vaccinations that come in very big syringes," Aurelia grinned.

"Ah." Jonathon looked thoughtful. "I shall have to learn to keep my mouth shut, then."

They arrived at the door, and the med Worker standing there directed them to a free exam bay. Aurelia stood back to let the stretcher bearers through, and once they had deposited Jonathon on a bed and left, she went in to join him.