Chapter Twelve

"I will be fine grandpa. I promise! Just enjoy your retirement. And don't flirt with the nurse too much, alright?" I said while trying to hold back my tears. This was my final goodbye to grandpa Charlie, only he didn't know that. He thought I was going to travel the world and try to stay as minimalistic as possible, meaning no phone etc. Only letters. It was a good way of still keeping in touch without actually visiting. Sadly grandpa's health had been decreasing immensely, but he had a nice nurse that looked after him back in Forks, curtesy of the Volturi of course. Grandpa Charlie would be taken care off until his last breath. Something this man deserved.
Grandpa simply chuckled at my statement.
"I promise, Panda bear. Don't worry about me. Go and explore. Just stay safe and don't forget your pepper spray." He said, concern slightly dripping through the humour in his voice.
"I promise grandpa. I love you." I said. I had to swallow the tears back and try to sound as excited as possible.
"I love you too, Panda bear. I will be looking forward to your postcards!" he said and after saying our goodbyes one final time we broke the connection. I felt a few tears fall down but before I could wipe them away cool fingers had caught them already.
"He will be taken good care off, amore. We promise you that." Dora said as she gently kissed my for head.
"It is the least we can do after your gift to us." Caius said as he gently placed his arms around my waist from behind.
"Is everything ready for tonight?" I asked as I gently cupped Dora's cheek in my hand. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the warmth that radiated from my skin before she nodded her head.
"Yes, amore. Everything is ready for your transition tonight." Caius says as he gently kisses the side of my neck. "Heidi will come pick you up once everything is set up tonight. You might like to go into the gardens today? It is going to be sunny all day." He said as he kissed my cheek gently and letting go of my waist, sitting down in his chair behind his desk. I had used the phone in his office for the call and it seemed every time the three of us had to discuss something important regarding our future we always ended up in his office. I frowned slightly at this.
"Aren't you coming? It is my last day as a human after all." I asked, trying to persuade him. Caius gave me a small smirk before sighing.
"I am so sorry, my love but we cannot today. We have to make our final preparations for your transition." He said, a look of sorrow creeping in his eyes. Dora grabbed my hands in hers gently.
"We just want to make it as safe and comfortable as possible. It just takes some last minute preparations. But we will be with you tonight until the moment you wake up. I promise you that."

And so I made my way towards the royal gardens. It was a secret little spot a little bit below the original castle grounds but still very well hidden. This was the place where vampires could easily walk in the sun without any human getting any wiser. The tall trees hid the view of the with flowers lavishly decorated garden. I made my way to the middle of the garden where a large fountain resided surrounded by four elegant benches. I sat down on the bench that faced the south basking in the warmth of the sun. I tried my best to just relax and enjoy the sounds of nature, the feeling of the soft breeze against my skin and the warmth of the sun. Thoughts raced through my head, my worries for my transition, daydreams about the future... other imagines about my mates... I bit my lip at the memories of Athenodora and Caius in the bathroom the first night. How they had dressed, or better lack of that evening. Now I knew it was to get a reaction out of me, and boy did it work. It even got to a point that the last two weeks they would regularly surprise me by either entering my room barely dressed or whenever I visited their chambers to conveniently stepping out of the bathroom in nothing but a towel. I knew most of the times they hadn't showered for their long, blonde locks had been dry but it caused me to blush slightly nonetheless.
A shadow fell over me and I opened my eyes, a slight blush still lingering over my cheeks, and found Heidi standing in front of me, her cloak protecting her from the sunlight.
"Everything is ready Mistress. I have come to collect you for your final meal and preparations." She says giving me a small smile.
"Thanks Heidi. And please, just call me Xandria." I said as I stood up, straightening the red summer dress I had been wearing all day. I started to make my way back to my room but Heidi stopped me.
"Ehm, Master Caius and Mistress Athenodora have asked me to prepare you in a separate room." She said.
"Oh, very well. No problem. Lead the way please." I say. Heidi flashes me a smile and starts to walk towards another room close to mine. My heartrate slowly increasing. Almost as if it knew it would be over soon.