𝐈𝐈𝐈, 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒

Start from the beginning

The way they dressed was this was too. The girl wore a black dress, her bodice embellished with onyx stones. And the boy wore a gender bent version of the same outfit. You'd never find such wear in a store. Not out on a runway either. I couldn't wrap my head around it. Everything they said, did, and wore felt entirely different.

"If you need anything, a bodyguard has been placed outside your quarters." She chuckled under her breath. "Alec and I will be back later to escort you to the Masters and to relay your incoming mail."

"Dinner is coming, Jane, I can hear it," the boy whispered to her.

Jane and Alec; anomalies.

---

THREE HOURS CAME AND WENT WITH NO NEWS ON THE SO CALLED MASTERS OF THE HOUSE.

If they'd forgotten me, I didn't know. Or care much, for that matter. My patience grew thin in the midst of hunger and understimulation. Snow globes and magazines can only entertain you for so long. I tried to eat away at time, but boredom kept biting my ass just the same.

In the faint moonlight, I found myself staring at the stars. I watched as I found my birth constellation, my rising, and my father's moon sign.

I found joy in the stars. They only twinkle when you're not looking directly into their fiery core, something I admire dearly. You have to watch with patience and respect. You have to have decent eyesight, which I've been blessed with.

All in all, the view was eroding my sense of time altogether.

A quick knock at my door jolted me back into the present. And before I could answer, someone was entering.

From my place by the window, I cocked my head back while my arms remained fixed on the window ledge.

"I apologize for leaving you here." Marcus softly patted the edges of his coat as he spoke, "but I'm glad you enjoy the view of your room."

The first time I heard him speak I felt this as I do now: a soft thrum at the bottom of my gut. I've never felt it before. I don't do the whole butterflies and rainbows when meeting someone. I'm no poetic masterpiece. But his voice fills me with some level of relief and care I've always desired.

"Must be busy." As soon as a said it, I regretted how sharp I sounded. "Sorry, I don't mean to come off rude. My tone is the same for almost everything. Or completely different and not reliable. I've been told both."

He didn't respond to my apology, only taking a few steps forward.

"You must be wondering why we're keeping you here."

I let out a small laugh and shrugged. "To be honest, I haven't thought much on it. I haven't been murdered or been chained to a wall, so I'll be fine, right?"

To be honest, I've never been good with judgement. Chrissy chastised me for it constantly during our year together, and I can't blame her for it. Or myself. Someone could make a vague threat and I wouldn't be able to detect it.

That's what got me in so deep last time around.

"My brothers and I want to offer you a job during your time in Volterra." Another few steps. "We're willing to pay whatever it takes for you to stay."

Money hasn't been too much of an issue in my life since I left my previous relationship. Carlisle pays me like a princess. I half think it's for me to keep his secrets a secret. I don't know if he has anyone to talk to about his personal life.

I'm the best friend who knows too much.

"I have a job," I said as politely as possible. I didn't want to reject the offer, but I also didn't know what else to say to this man. "I work in the medical field. Needles and all that shit."

"You're an intern." Okay, and my boss pays me like I'm a princess to be pampered. What is your point?

"My boss pays his interns well." Because he knows what kind of hell I came out of six months ago. "Money isn't an issue for me right now. Why would you want me working for you?"

Marcus paused again, his whole body frozen.

"I don't really need a job here, but I'll stay."

I don't know why I said it. Being in Italy for an extended period of time wasn't the plan at all. Connection with mother's roots, come back to comfort.

"...as long as my friend can stay here. She's already worried about me, and honestly she's already said she's coming to stay with me in Italy since I failed to answer the phone every hour like I promised today."

Chrissy will be here by tomorrow, if I'm unlucky.

I have awful luck.

Marcus pursed his lips. "We can make those arrangements. Plenty of empty suites to go around."

"Suites?"

"Well, you didn't think that you'd be staying in such a small room, did you?" This place is bigger than my whole apartment. "We have suites for foreign guests. There's two rooms inside of them. You may as well share with your friend."

Beyond these arrangements, I had no clue what I was going to do here in Italy after the festival. Go window shopping in the mornings while tanning in the afternoon?

I wish I'd figured this out before I made promises.

"Cool," I said quickly, eyes averting to stare out the window again. The night sky drew me in again, taking hold of my mind. "I'll miss the view."

"There will be just as many stars to see across the clock tower," Marcus promised as he turned around.

"Also, when you take your next stroll, take Afton from outside your door, and try to not knock any bouquets from people's hands."

---

Sorry for the shorter chapter. Didn't expect to not be able to write on my computer, and all of my work is shorter when typing on my phone.

At least we get to see the beginning of the Marcus x River ship.

We may or may not get to hear from Chrissy next chapter. I know you'll love her.

---