Chapter 53: Theory

Start from the beginning

♪ Then say to the others who did not follow through
You're still our brothers, and we will fight for you. ♪

When my song stopped there the whole dungeon remained eerily silent. The quiet so much stronger a noise than any the many cages full of howling creatures could have made.

I will fight for you my wolf friends.

We all stared around, each too afraid to break the quiet.

William then looked down to our entwined hands and brows furrowed. He then dug in my own pocket and brought out the wedding ring replacing it on my finger.

"Sorry." I grinned sheepish. "I had to test my theory."

The men and wolves who were kneeling, pushed themselves to a stand then, almost like it pained them to move.

I turned back to where Ryan was as he was sitting up, arms wide to hold himself and staring at me nervously.

I grinned. "Nice nap?"

He stood as if it was hard for him to do too. "Please don't do that again."

"Don't try to stop me." I shrugged then looked to William in annoyance. "Apparently I don't have clearance to be down here?"

My eyes then roved over Eric. "Mr. Alpha would you please update that policy?"

Eric looked to the nearest cage, a bare woman with flames for hair lying lifeless on the floor. "Uh, yeah. She can be down here."

I turned back to Ryan giving him a look that screamed I won that round.

William chuckled under his breath and Guard Aaron came up to him, arm outstretched in a gesture to shake hands. William complied with a grip in his.

Aaron announced, "I'll be the first to say, I'm not getting on your female's bad side, Beta William."

"You're telling me," William sent a wink my way.

I held my hand out to shake his next with a smirk. "You better not Mr. Aaron."

Aaron looked at my hand like I was holding a handful of stinging insects and then swallowed.

"You don't want to see what I can do?" I lifted an eyebrow.

He twisted to Ryan quick then looked me up and down. "I think I've seen enough."

I put my hand down, wondering if I could bring out his wolf by voice instead and was tempted to try it, until Eric finally recalled he was the Alpha and started putting things in motion.

"Guards, get these people upstairs."

A scurry of movement then happened around me, Aaron led the group, most likely very welcoming the distraction from my touch.

Eric studied me, eyes strong. "That's why everyone always feels so empowered after you sing."

"What?" I asked.

"It's always been words in passing, but when we sang on that stairwell, I had so many people tell me that our singing was just heavenly. They got tingles or felt lighter all day. I just told them singing always causes endorphins, but it was deeper than that. Wasn't it? It's how you sing. It's more than just music."

I looked to a crack in the tile below his feet and shrugged. "Is it?"

"You told William you took lessons as a child," Eric supposed.

William's shoulders flattened and he nodded. "Her grandfather's book spoke of healers finding their token as a child." He then smirked at me. "When I asked what sang to you, I wasn't meaning your literal voice, sweetheart."