017. TEXAS HOLD'EM

╔═══════════════╗

TEXAS HOLD'EM ☂︎︎

╚═══════════════╝

FIVE ARRIVED PROMPTLY AT THREE and waited for her at the edge of the street.

He nodded at her as she approached him with a sigh. Yet again, before he could speak, she intervened. "We are going to go eat. It's been a long day and I can already tell whatever you want to tell me is going to stress the shit out of me."

Five rolled his eyes, walking by her side as she led him up a couple of blocks, pausing in front of a small diner, neon letters dimly lit in the afternoon sun. They walked in, this time Five getting odd looks as he walked in with Charlotte who was greeted by the waitress with an odd smile. She nodded to Dina, who approached the booth they sat in with raised brows. "Why am I not surprised with you?" she grumbled, eyeing Five hesitantly.

"He's a friend, Dina." she pressed, glaring at Five to stay silent.

"Right." she replied, pouring coffee into Five's extended cup and handing her the decaf she ordered every day after work. "Rod's not gonna like this."

Charlotte's eyes widened. "Shit, Rod's here!?"

Rod chose the perfect moment to waltz in.

An old man's hearty laugh, greying hair and a wide smile, Rod Evans danced towards the booth of the small cafe he owned. Charlotte watched in awkwardness as Rod's eyes landed on Five. "Well, well, well... see you've brought me a white boy."

Charlotte allowed her head to collapse on the counter. "He's a friend, Rod."

"He better be one." his eyes fell to the proper attire Five typically wore. "For a moment there I thought this boy was taking you out dancing."

"I don't dance." Five responded politely.

She took a sip of her coffee. "Nor do I."

Rod shook his head. "Don't let this little minx fool you. She dances, alright. I've seen it."

Dina passed by with a smirk. "That's cause her and Shelly had been smoking a jo-"

"Rod!" Charlotte intervened, cheeks heating and eyes staring coldly at Dina. "Can I get some eggs over easy?"

The old man smiled. "Anything for you, Miss. Beaumont."

Rod clambered away, leaving an awkward silence between the two. Five took a sip of his coffee. "You smoke now?"

"On occasions." she pointed out. "Helps the rare headache."

He eyed her pointedly.

She sighed. "I don't need you worrying about me. I'm fine. Not so stressed out anymore."

He nodded, drumming his fingers against the checkered table top. "Well, things might get a little more stressful."

"Why? Is the world ending again?"

He squinted. "Exactly."

She looked into his eyes but she didn't need to watch for any joking. He rarely did. Her lips pouted into a thin line in annoyance. "I know this sounds horrible but like... can we just let ourselves die?"

He stared at her crossly. "No." The eggs were slid onto the table with a small smile. "I just got here today. Now, I have a place and I've got resources. The world ends in about a week. We need to find the rest of my siblings."