008. DRUNK, AFRAID, WISHING THE WORLD WOULD GO AWAY

╔═══════════════╗

DRUNK, AFRAID, WISHING THE WORLD WOULD GO AWAY ☂︎︎

╚═══════════════╝

CHARLOTTE DID NOT take kindly to being carried that when she stirred back into consciousness she attempted to roll out of Diego's arms sluggishly.

"Woah, woah, woah, kid." he warned, tightening his grip on her. "You're seriously drunk."

"Put me down." she ordered, lacking authority. "And I'm fifty two! I'm not a kid! Unless... you're eighty?"

"Fine." he sighed, setting her down and ignoring her other words. His hand guided her steps, watching as she clumsily walked alongside him. Luther was beside him, Five tucked in his arms in a state between asleep and awake. She could catch on to the fact they were walking down an alley and it was some time in the night but the rest of the world was slurred by the lingering effects of spirits and chaos math.

"Is she going to be okay?" Luther inquired to his pathetically drunk brother. "You know... with the whole changing reality thing."

"Actually..." she started, somewhat aware of what she was saying. "Alcohol makes the old thinker nice and relaxed." she giggled, tapping the side of her head. "I'm not feeling too subatomic at the moment."

"I hate that you still sound smart drunk."

"It's a gift."

Luther sighed. "Well, we can't go back to the house. It's not secure. Those psychopaths could come back at any moment."

"My place is closer." Diego offered. "No one will look for him there."

Charlotte winced as a belch came from Five, his grip on Dolores tightening. Luther groaned. "If you vomit on me.."

"Yeah, please don't throw up. If you throw up... I'm going to throw up and I hate throwing up." she whined.

Five ignored her, eyes staring up at the sky happily. "You know what's funny? I'm going through puberty. Twice."

"You know what's funnier?" Charlotte laughed at him, his face scrunching up to make him look funny. "You're a lightweight!" she was doubling over now, Diego's arm keeping her steady.

"I'm not a lightweight!" he whined childishly.

"Yeah, you are." she teased. "You have to be carried by the monkey man."

"You're drunk too." Diego pointed out, still helping her along clumsily.

"But I'm walking." she sang.

He held back a chuckle intermixed with a sigh, pulling Charlotte up from her near fall. "Yeah. Horribly."

"I drank that whole bottle, didn't I?" he sighed groggily. "That's what you do when the world you love goes bye-bye. Poof." he waved. "It's gone." Five stared at his brother lazily. "What are you guys talking about?"

Diego huffed. "Two masked intruders attacked the Academy last night. They came looking for you. So I need you to focus. What do they want?"

"Hazel and Cha-Cha." he groaned.

Charlotte smiled stupidly. "Oh, yeah! The bunny man!"

Diego spun around, causing Charlotte to get a nauseous head rush. "Who?"

"You know I hate code names." Luther pressed.

"Ah, the best of the best." he responded, his grip on Delores tightening. "Except for me, of course."