Prologue •

(I thought the picture looked funny)

Prologue
September 11, 2006

Camila:
"Daddy where you going?" the little five year old sobbed. Tears flowed from her big hazel eyes while loud incoherent sobs left her tiny mouth. She was beginning to panic over her father's soon to be absence.

"Daddy has some business to take care of babygirl. I will come back for you. Just always know that I will. Okay?" she shook her head and wrapped her frail arms around his torso.

"Why you have to leave us?" she was trying her best to stall him for as long as she could because she knew he was about to leave, for a long, long time.

"Because I'm protecting you and making sure you're safe okay. Do daddy a favor and watch over mommy. Be a big girl for daddy and help Julia with baby Destin okay." she started to cry harder.

"I don't wanna be a big girl anymore. I want you to stay." she clung onto his biceps and wrapped her arms around his neck. A loud bang at the front door caused the whole family to jump in fright. The banging stopped, he had to leave.

Camilas father turned her to give him access to her neck while she was still in his arms. Without saying a word he took a necklace and matching bracelet from his pocket and put them on her.

"Always keep these on Babygirl to remind you of me. Okay?" she nodded staring straight into his eyes. "I love you so so much BabyGirl."

She mustered up enough strength and calmed down her crying just to say "I love you daddy." He set her down on her feet and told her to go in the backroom with her mother, Julia, and Destin. She complied and said "bye daddy I love you," one last time before turning the corner in the small apartment and rushing into the closet.

As the four of them quietly sat in the dark and crowded closet, a crashing noise broke out in the living room.

"They're not here, they left to go to America last night." her father said. The men were shouting and screaming at the top of their lungs but all at once it all stopped.

"No need to search the house." an unfamiliar voice huffed. The yelling faded away and car doors slammed closed. The sounds of engines sounded and drove off, away from the apartment complex.

Too scared to get out, the family slept in the cramped closet in the comfort of each others arms for the remainder of that night.

Authors Note//

Hello lovely people reading my book! If you couldn't tell already by reading the title or the tags, shît will happen in this book. But it does have mature content and for a few of the characters who arent that main, there will be age gaps and sêxual content so I suggest if you can't hadle that type stuff you should exit off now. But if you can handle it, continue on and I promise all other chapters are much longer than this. With that being said, thank you for reading and don't forgot to vote!