Ch 26. Miss Mystic Falls 👑

Start from the beginning

His brother paused mid-push-up, finally meeting Damon's penetrating stare. "What are we planning on doing about that?" Concern etched his chiseled features.

Damon propped himself against the wall, arms crossed. "We're not going to do much of anything if you don't have your strength." He extended the glass, the rich scent of blood wafting enticingly. "There's nothing wrong with indulging in a healthy vampire diet courtesy of the blood bank's supply. You're not actually killing anyone."

Pushing himself up from the floor, Stefan swiped at the sheen of sweat on his brow. "I have my reasons," he asserted, his resolve as indomitable as granite.

Damon's eyes glinted with mischief as he attempted to chip away at Stefan's resolve. "Well, do enlighten me on these holier-than-thou reasons of yours. We've never actually discussed the juicy details." He leaned back, feigning an exaggerated curiosity. "I'd love to hear this fascinating tale."

With an effortless, nonchalant grace, Damon sank into the worn leather of Stefan's couch, a sardonic smirk playing across his lips. "You're really savoring this moment, aren't you? Delighting in my struggle?" Stefan accused, pausing his workout to lock eyes with his brother, challenge simmering beneath the surface.

"Very much so," he admitted unabashedly, reveling in the unfolding drama like an indulgent spectator.

Swiping at the sheen of sweat on his brow, Stefan's tone carried an undercurrent of defiant frustration. "I hate to break it to you, brother, but I actually have this under complete control."

Undeterred, Damon stood and sauntered towards the door with a practiced nonchalance. "Is that so? Well then, by all means, carry on making the rest of us vampires look reprehensible." The teasing lilt in his voice hung heavily as he left the crystal tumbler filled with crimson temptation on the table.

"Have a splendid day, Stefan," he quipped, the door clicking shut softly behind him.

Stefan's gaze lingered on the abandoned glass, the rich scent of blood beckoning like a siren's call. The silence that blanketed the room seemed to underscore the friction between the glass and Stefan.

The door flew open again, Damon reappearing with a sly grin. "Ah, I nearly forgot something. How careless of me." He snatched up the glass, crimson liquid sloshing precariously. Bringing it to his lips, he savored the forbidden taste with an exaggerated display of pure indulgence. His piercing gaze held Stefan's for a beat before he spun on his heel and swept out, the door left ajar in his wake.

♤♤♤♤♤

Caroline's bedroom was a whirlwind of activity as she flitted about, meticulously laying out potential outfits and accessories for the evening's Founders' Day 150 Year party. Her phone was cradled between her ear and shoulder as Bonnie's familiar voice filtered through the line.

"This party is going to be utterly boring without you," Caroline lamented, holding up two dresses in front of the mirror for comparison.

A week had passed since Stefan's kidnapping and the gruesome discovery of Vicki's lifeless body. Amidst the wreckage, the only silver lining was Bonnie answering Caroline's call. The memory of that night lingered, and Caroline admitted in a hushed tone, "I'm really going to miss having you here, Bonnie."

"Well, you were the mastermind behind the whole thing," Bonnie pointed out with a small laugh. "If it's lackluster, you'll only have the tragically uncultured residents of Mystic Falls to blame."

Caroline rolled her eyes good-naturedly. "Fair point. I suppose I shouldn't be held responsible for their lack of sophistication." She tossed one of the dresses aside decisively. "Are you still not speaking to Elena?"