I received a series of 'yeahs' and 'chill Theo', which definitely reassured my conscience.

"Alright, I gotta go. I'll be back by eight. Just order some sushi ok? Do not attempt to even make dinner this time," I sternly emphasized as I referred to the time they ended up burning a hole through the chopping board.

"Mmhmm of course. Bye! Love you, big bro!" Julian and Riley replied a little too cheerfully.

I grabbed the car keys from the hook on the side of the front door. I turned and kissed Riley on the head and ruffled Julian hair, to which I received groans and a rolling of eyes.

"Bye see you guys later". With that, I unlocked the car and pulled out of the driveway.

☆ ☆ ☆

I pulled up into my parking spot behind the cotton candy and hotdog stands nestled on the perimeter of the lake. The sun's rays mercilessly burned my tan skin, piercing through my hoodie.

There were kids playing by the edge of the water, building sandcastles that would collapse any second. Kayakers were gliding across the lakes as their paddles skimmed the surface of the water. There were a few boats in the distance, their movement creating ripples in the water that made the children shriek with joy.

It wasn't as busy today — there were only a few in the water today, the rest must have chosen to go to the carnival behind me.

My worn converse sunk into the grainy sand as I watched the laughter and joy that unfolded around me. It was a sort of joy that was infectious as I watched families gather, listening to music or even throwing a frisbee around.

Despite how much it twisted a knot inside of me watching these whole and unbroken families, I enjoyed being a lifeguard. To watch over these families and to protect them — the way my mother wasn't.

Being a lifeguard started off as just a summer job for me in highschool but it slowly just eased into my life until I found myself working full-time after I graduated. Initially, I had my life planned out — despite my obvious success in basketball — I always wanted to follow in Mom's footsteps, to be a doctor.

But that fateful night, when I entered the hospital on shaky legs and a stomach-dropping uneasiness, it altered my life, my career, and my family. The hospital became a place of death. A permanent reminder of all my family has lost and grieved.

It became apparent that I couldn't become a doctor if I couldn't step foot inside a hospital without reliving that night.

In some ways, I guess it was meant to be. Being a full-time college student would have never convinced the judges to give me full custody of my siblings. And if I had to choose between my job or my family, well the answer was pretty obvious.

Besides being a lifeguard paid well enough, not that money was ever a problem considering the inheritance money and child aid funds left for us was enough to send all four of my siblings to university.

Being a doctor did have its perks.

I sheepishly smiled when I saw Malia — the head lifeguard and my boss — holding up her watch, motioning for me to pick up the pace.

Malia was an intimidating five-foot-eight Romanian athlete that could dominate you on the volleyball court and out. She worked here as a part-time worker while she studied at the nearby college. 

"Your late again Theo," Malia glared.

"Half the other lifeguards are sitting on beach chairs sipping Kool-aid Lia," I motioned to the group on her right.