21. What's Meant To Be Will Be

Start from the beginning

"Well, in that case I'm glad you're still paint-covered," He joked with a dimpled smile. "Enjoy your bath." He said, taking a step out of the bathroom and pulling the door closed behind him.

The Doctor

It felt like we hadn't been asleep long when Hotch propelled Mel's bedroom door open whisper-shouting about a case.

I almost fell completely out of bed in surprise and Mel groaned, throwing her pillow at the door as she rolled out of bed.

It would appear she was getting better at the whole waking-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-for-work thing.

As I watched her climb out of bed I sighed irritatedly. I still felt sleepy and warm and all I wanted to do was cuddle down with Mel and appreciate the first time we'd shared a bed since New Year.

But of course, Unsubs didn't take our lives into consideration. Of course they didn't. And so instead I was made to pull on paint-covered pants and sit in Mel's freezing car in the dark as she drove to my apartment so I could pick up clean clothes and my go-bag.

"I love this job," Mel said matter-of-factly as if she were trying to convince herself. "But sometimes it really bloody sucks." I smirked and nodded my head, pulling her against my side in a sleepy hug before taking her hand as the elevator arrived on our floor.

Surprisingly enough we weren't the last ones in the BAU and so had time to make some coffee before Prentiss completed the team.

"What do we got Garcia?" She asked as she hurried inside the room and threw herself into her chair on my other side.

"Denver, Colorado. Five men, all white, all middle-forties, all middle class American citizens found shot-dead execution style stripped of all clothing bearing nothing but a bullet-wound through the head, the streaks of their own blood and the marking of some so-far undecipherable image on their chests.

"They were found approximately three hours ago shortly after midnight on Interstate 70 smack-bang half-way between Utah and Maryland.

"Denver, Colorado. Five women, all white, all middle-forties, all middle class American citizens found stabbed to death stripped of all clothing. Each woman was stabbed up to fifty times with another undecipherable image on their chests. They were found approximately one hour ago on Interstate 25 just outside of Denver.

"Nothing like this has ever happened before in Colorado, let alone Denver. Local PD have no idea what they're doing and they're in desperate need of our help. This is a bad one."

We didn't waste any time at all before Hotch got to his feet while frantically gathering his papers and saying,

"Wheels up in twenty."

The Daughter

"Greetings crime fighters," Garcia's voice called to us through the laptop as we discussed the killings on the jet on route to Denver.

"The undecipherable image found on the victims' chests has just been made decipherable," She explained before an image of an upside down cross in the hollow of a half-moon appeared on the screen.

It was made graphical for our benefit, but then another picture of the same image appeared next to the graphical one.

"Local PD have no idea what this could mean and they've never seen anything like this before." She explained.

"Gang related?" Morgan suggested.
"It sounds like it could be a satanist." Prentiss pointed out.
"But wouldn't a typical satanist just use a pentagram?" I asked, peering at the image of the carving on my tablet.