THIRTY

James laughed, half the crowd erupted in cheers. He took the medallion off his neck and held it up with glee.

Jasper was stunned. He no longer had a damn thing to say.

It was decided.

"Jasper!" He heard Ryn cry.

He turned around just fast enough to watch her fling herself into him. With lightning fast reflexes, he caught her in the air. He spun her so the momentum wouldn't knock him off his feet, but when the world stopped, he was no longer in that stadium.

He was in his house.

He looked at Ryn. Her face read 'culprit' all over it.

"What the fuck did you do?" He demanded, stepping away from her.

She shrunk a little.

"Kathryn, what the fuck did you do?! I have to get back there now!"

She shook her head. "I'm not taking you back."

He was flabbergasted. "You know I hate it when you use magic on me! Ryn, that's my fucking best friend! Take me back now!"

She shook her head again, tears growing in her eyes. "I'm not losing you, too!"

He loved Ryn more than he ever thought could be possible. The power of the feeling was intense. Right now, he hated her.

"I'm not taking you back." She said, tears racing down her cheeks.

If it were any other person, he would've thrown them on the floor and demand they take him back. He threw the door closed as he left instead.

Ryn waited around an hour before he came back. She heard no news from the pack. The pack thought they were in Denmark with Tristan, she supposed they wouldn't come by.

Jasper stormed in. He wasn't interested in niceties.

"How the fuck did you do that?"

She stopped, a little startled. "How did I-"

"We were in Denmark, now we're here. How."

She shrugged. "I don't know."

"'You don't know'?" He scoffed. "How 'bout you try?"

"I've only done it once before." She told him. "It's not like a snap of a finger."

He waited for her to continue, staring intently.

"My mom and I were walking around. It was late. My mother been targeted by cullers. We didn't know it at the time. I just... suddenly felt all this energy in my hands. I didn't know what to do. Maybe ten seconds later I heard the gunshot. I grabbed her, and she grabbed me. Suddenly we were in the house. But it was too late."

It dawned on him. "She died in your arms."

Ryn nodded. "I felt it again and I just knew."

He sighed. "I walked into town. Tristan and Christine are both alive."

*

Christine held her breath as she stared at James, laughing and grinning.

It had occurred to her by now that somehow she wasn't injured. Though her arms had taken the brunt of the fall, they weren't broken. Her back wasn't bleeding. There wasn't any pain. Chrissy didn't dwell on it. She needed Tristan to wake back up.

She didn't notice the footsteps coming up behind her until they had scooped her up under the armpits and began dragging her away. There wasn't enough time for her to grab and hold onto Tristan.